Is it wise to start a new project with ionic 4?

My company is starting the development of a new app that should be live in about 5 months , is it safe/wise to develop it in ionic 4 should I still use v3 ?

I think you should use v3. I have just started two projects with v4 but faced lots of problems. I have been able to solve most of them but lost so much time. If you have a web app created with Angular 6 and want to make a mobile app, it is very easy to create v4 app by using Angular codes.

thank you , I guess it will be safer to start with v3 then.

I think the most important is: give a try by yourself to v4 and then decide according your experience

Then here my status, but again, take it with precaution, my status, background, goals, everything are maybe totally different, there is nothing better than trying by yourself to decide. Don’t come to me in a couple of weeks telling me that I’m an a-hole or something because I said that v4 is cool.

That being said, I’ve migrated my app to v4. The migrated app is not yet in stores but I do hope to reach that point in the next weeks.

Begin of October I’ll begin a spare-time new project with a 6-9 months timeframe for a client, therefore I’ll, I think, begin straight with v4

BUT, again, I already have migrated my app and have spend hours to do so, therefore my client will not have to pay me to learn how to use v4, I already invested that time by myself. On the other hand, doing so, my client will also not have to pay for a possible migration v3 to v4 in the future.

But again, nothing else than trying by yourself. I just posted that feedback to give some insight that v4 which is, in my point of view and in the case of my app, already cool.

P.S.: I’m speaking about Ionic Angular (just in case)

6 Likes

Après avoir eu plusieurs fois des réponses de @reedrichards vous pouvez suivre ses conseils.
Promis il ne m’a pas payer pour dire ça :grin:

1 Like

A Hybrid Mobile App (e.g., uses Cordova) or a Progressive Web App?

well , mainly for devices , but we’ll use it for desktop as well

No, it would not be wise to use v3 over v4.

Ionic v3 was abandoned with many open ongoing issues around the now completely dropped, Ionic Router.

We are now redoing our entire application’s routing with the Angular 5 router and also battling with converting our old sass styles to newer styles components in a non shared Shadow DOM.

Learn the new stuff. Use v4.

We’ve recently started using v4 for a project which needs to be delivered next month. It was a choice between developing for v3 stable and having to migrate later or just try out v4 and see if we hit any roadblocks. So far all good (testing on recent iOS and Android).

It’s been necessary to update the beta version a few times and I don’t think there is exhaustive review happening for each beta release (side menu breaking, alert message property renaming etc) but in general it’s good. Performance is generally convincing and I think it’s clear that v3 will get very few updates from now on. It’s obviously a moving target that you have to keep tracking. I’d be careful if you need legacy os or legacy browser support.

thanx , good to know , so you’re saying that if I need to launch a new app in the next 4 months it’s safe enough to use v4?

I had been contemplating this change as well and deviddd about 2 works just to give it a go. So far I haven’t run into anything yet that would warrant it unstable. In fact it seems Ionic 4 is more predictable than ionic 3 especially for styling as everything is standardised. And i could never get lazy loading to work with shared services in v3 but v4 no issues at all.

The only comment I have though is the lack of documentation/community support so it’s going to take a bit of more time to work through it especially when errors occur the first thing that comes to mind is a bug but so far I found its just my misuse of coding.

However even with the official release it will still take at least 12 months for the documentation/community to come up to speed so my final 2cents is jump in the deep end now but expect the learning curve to be slow but it should pay off in the long run.

Yes.

even if not, think of it this way - if you encounter any new problems in v4, they can be reported and ideally supported/fixed.

On the other hand, if you use v3 and encounter an unsolved known bug (like routing flakiness), the Ionic team will ignore you in favor of the v4 bugs.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Well, it’s not going to go away, but it will still have some bugs, and I have no idea how much of the native stuff will be available in Capacitor.

I’m a litte bit surprised about the reactions in here. Sure, learn the new things but guys this is supposed to be a business project (for a customer i guess). How can you tell him to use a beta software for a customer project…

If there is no stable version don’t touch it for business projects!

1 Like

completely agree. not saying its going to happen here, but remember how many times late-beta changes to the framework have introduced breaking changes ?