Use Ionic without PhoneGap

Hi,

I’m planning to build an app at work, which is a very simple app that only has 3 tabs and a couple of views within each tab. It also has to make a couple of service calls and use local storage.
I was thinking of using jQuerymobile for the UI with KnockoutJS for the service calls and data management, but I would like to use Ionic. The problem is this app is a small, temporary app and so won’t be released through an app store (its for internal use only).

Is it possible to use the UI parts of Ionic and the AngularJS layer without the PhoneGap layer, which we won’t use?

Thanks

Stephen

If you do not use any mobile-specific stuff you do not need cordova or phonegap.

I built a webapp with ionic and there is also no cordova/phonegap.

If you are programming an ionic app you do it on your pc -> there is also no cordova/phonegap -> and it is working :wink: (in firefox, chrome, safari)

Ionic is targeted for PhoneGap development, but is perfectly suitable for any website. You only have to include the Ionic’s CSS and javascript:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <title>MyApp</title>
        <link href="lib/ionic/css/ionic.css" rel="stylesheet">
        <script src="lib/ionic/js/ionic.bundle.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>My awesome Ionic app, without PhoneGap<h1>
    </body>
</html>

Thanks for the responses, looks like it is possible. I’ll try a small demo app and then if that works as I hope, then it looks like it is an option.

Ionic looks and works so much better than jQuerymobile (nothing against JQM, I’ve created a couple of nice apps with it), but it’s not a slick as Ionic.

Thanks for the help guys.

Actually, I’ve been perfectly happy using the Ionic CSS only (in an AngularJS app). I had to roll in just a tiny bit of JavaScript to set up checkboxes properly for desktop browsers, but I saved many a kB by omitting all the rest of the Ionic JavaScript. :slight_smile: