[SOLVED] App name in config.xml with spaces?

Hi all.

I can put a name with spaces to the app?
I had to start the app called “test”, now I have to go in distribution, I would rename it to “Test New” (with space).
I tried changing the config.xml:

<name>Test New</name>

but if I try to build, return me error of parse.
work If i change the name in:

<name>Test-New</name>

So I thought that we can not enter spaces in the name of the app, but it seems strange … there’s a workaround?

I do not know why, but doing:

ionic platform remove ios

and:

ionic platform add ios

and:

ionic build ios

now work

[solved] Apostrophe title in config.xml

I have the same issue, if I put spaces in name then my .plist file containes spaces and when i do ionic build ios i get errors

2015-10-29 17:13:14.802 xcodebuild[26191:1531154] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 108. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.
2015-10-29 17:13:14.809 xcodebuild[26191:1531154] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 108. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.
2015-10-29 17:13:14.811 xcodebuild[26191:1531154] Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Unexpected character / at line 1" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Unexpected character / at line 1, kCFPropertyListOldStyleParsingError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "Missing ';' on line 108" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Missing ';' on line 108}}
xcodebuild: error: Unable to read project 'ADCB Private Concierge.xcodeproj'.
	Reason: Project /Users/yuri/Sites/quintessentially/q-life-style-app/app/platforms/ios/ADCB Private Concierge.xcodeproj cannot be opened because the project file cannot be parsed.

Error code 74 for command: xcodebuild with args: -xcconfig,/Users/yuri/Sites/quintessentially/q-life-style-app/app/platforms/ios/cordova/build-debug.xcconfig,-project,ADCB Private Concierge.xcodeproj,ARCHS=i386,-target,ADCB Private Concierge,-configuration,Debug,-sdk,iphonesimulator,build,VALID_ARCHS=i386,CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR=/Users/yuri/Sites/quintessentially/q-life-style-app/app/platforms/ios/build/emulator,SHARED_PRECOMPS_DIR=/Users/yuri/Sites/quintessentially/q-life-style-app/app/platforms/ios/build/sharedpch

As soon as I remove spaces it builds for ios again

Am I the only person who cannot add spaces to app name in config.xml when building for ios?

I was having the same issue so I created a Cordova plugin that let’s me set the display separate from the app name.

Try this

cordova plugins add cordova-plugin-app-name --variable APP_NAME="ADCB Private Concierge" --save

I’m specifically not using ionic to install the plugin because it does something weird with the value of the APP_NAME variable.

[solved] Apostrophe title in config.xml

You literally have to add a cordova plugin to allow spaces in the name?

@blakgeek Solution work for me ! Thanks !

You can make the necessary changes by hand but they’ll get overwritten every time you build. So sadly the answer is yes. It’s a limitation imposed by how the app name get’s used by Cordova which Ionic is built on top of.

The solution is working for me. Getting the following error.

2016-09-07 16:35:40.328 xcodebuild[10169:148374] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 48. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

2016-09-07 16:35:40.329 xcodebuild[10169:148374] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 48. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

2016-09-07 16:35:40.395 xcodebuild[10169:148374] Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 “Unexpected character / at line 1” UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Unexpected character / at line 1, kCFPropertyListOldStyleParsingError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 “Missing ‘;’ on line 48” UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Missing ‘;’ on line 48}}

Please help !!

Environment Information

Cordova CLI: 5.0.0
Ionic CLI Version: 2.0.0
Ionic App Lib Version: 2.0.0
ios-deploy version: 1.8.2
ios-sim version: 4.1.1
Node Version: v0.12.7
Xcode version: Xcode 7.3 Build version 7D175

@Soumen Can you enter a defect in github and I’ll take a look? Thanx.

@Soumen What are you setting the app name to?

Sorry for the late reply. I upgraded cordova CLI to 5.4.1 and it worked for me. And thanks for your concern.

Ran into this in Ionic 2 - is this really still the recommended solution, to install the cordova-plugin-app-name? Seems like something Ionic/Cordova would support directly, a space in app name is very common.

Is there an open bug on this topic?

@blakgeek hi, does your plugin support ionic cloud package?

I’m not sure. Give it try and if you run into issues I’ll see if I can make the necessary changes. Or feel free to create a PR.