Releasing apps with Ionic

I read about how Ionic supports Android 4.1 and up, so I wonder when creating apps for Play Store how does that affect the reach of peoples devices.

When what I read about supported % of devices sunk in I started worrying what did what I read mean?

are you telling me that apps created with Ionic right now will not work with older Android versions? or that they work but just have not been tested under 4.1 version?

could someone with android 3.0 download my app built with Ionic and use it?

I am very young with this development so thanks

Hey dujke,

when they say ionic is not supported, it is indeed meant that they do not test or support lower versions. They might secretly test, but they do not promise results on those devices or browsers. I’m actually doing a project for IE9 and up while desktop browser are not supported at all.

You just have to think about some things (like, position: fixed has limited support and you should never use it for mobile development, at least, not yet… maybe in a few years), and have to fix some issues that have nog been covered by ionic. IE9 renders some things pretty differently from other browsers, for example.

You on the other hand, have the luck that you are targeting mobile apps, which have a better support for most things. You probably won’t encounter much trouble, but you must test on older devices to ensure! There will be chance you have to redesign your application’s css or structure a bit, so i recommend buying an old android phone (could be cheaper then 70 euro’s nowadays) with android 2.x on it installed, if those browsers and your most recent version render your app well, you’re like 99% sure it will render fine on (almost) any android device there is. Of course, screen sizes I did not cover in this statement.

Same goes for iOS, if you want to support iOS, test different versions for it.

In any case, not supporting does not mean that the framework doesn’t work. It means that they do not promise that it will work, and it might be that the framework or parts of the framework might not work, or might not work as intended. Most issues would probably be solvable for yourself in your custom code, while others might not be as easy.

As a small example, ionic is really not IE8 or lower compatible since it does not bind to events in the old IE’s way, therefore I decided to drop support for IE8. In your case though, you probably won’t have to make such decisions and might (but I personally think there won’t be much) run into small problems where you have to write fixes for.

Biggest problem is, you might not be able to use updates of ionic since they might break earlier versions of android (or other platforms) that doe work with the current version. Keep that in mind when making a decision. It probably won’t be a big problem if you can’t update on existing apps though.

I could test on android 2.4 for you, but I don’t have an android 3.x device.

Hope my answer helps clarify things :smile:
(also, if someone disagrees with what i say or think i missed something, feel free to point out, i might learn a thing or two as well)

1 Like

thanks @iwantwin for prompt reply. If you ever needed I can test for you too on android 4.2.

yes you did clarify many things I wanted to know. I will continue living “no problem” on issue at least until I upload my first final .apk to Play Store. They will tell me if compatible and with how many devices!

would not want to “waist time” and come up 70%+ short on devices reached and compatible

You’r welcome, I’m glad I could be of assistance! Just so you know, I have an android 4.4.2 device so that could be helping for testing as well :wink:

I don’t think you’ll come up with 70% short for devices, because the lower android API levels are not that popular anyways haha :wink: You’ll manage, just ask again when you need help with anything or doubt stuff.

1 Like

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but I would like to test my app on IE9, and I have a lot of issues… @iwantwin, you have made it, could you help me? On IE10 my app is OK, but on IE9 I have first 2 issues :
1- livereload error : “Livereload disabled beacause the browser does not seem to support web sockets”.
So i disable it with option ionic serve --nolivereload
2- first screen (login) error : “accès refusé Error -2147024891”. I have no file and line indicated to see where is the error in my code… what I know is that my authentification request has not been sent…

Maybe I have to add somme polyfill or shim to make it work on IE9?

On a topic for 1,5 years old, I would have guessed for a new topic instead since your question is also pretty different than this topic. On the other hand, you are lucky I read your reply anyways :smile:

The version I made compatible with IE9 was with beta 9, and eventually I upgraded to betá 13. Nowadays ionic is changed a lot, and many parts are rewritten. Just based on the browsers’ rendering capabilities I would suggest to drop IE9 support and only bother about IE10 and higher… Unless you really need to support IE9, but it’s a hassle. My fixes pretty much changed the ionic base files, which makes it really hard to perform updates.

If you are using betá 9-13, I could be able to help you, if you are using any more recent version of Ionic, I would have to dive deep to discover your issues… And I really don’t look forward to spending so much time on it.

Rule of thumb:

• don’t support IE9 unless you really don’t have any other choice
  • if you have to support IE9, consider if you need this customer or if you can drop the project
  • if you still want to do this project with IE9, charge a lot more money :smiley: U need to do a lot of custom coding/testing for this single extra platform…

Keep in mind also that ionic is still not ment for browser development, so it might just simply not be the best fit for ur case?

Thanks for your answer. I have been interested when I saw you manage to work on IE9 in ionic, because I know that very few people will work on this in 2016…

I have to make an app for IOS, Android, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1.
I was told that windows 8.0 was base on IE9, so I wanted to test on it, but it seems to be wrong (https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2012/11/08/internet-explorer-10-brings-html5-to-windows-phone-8-in-a-big-way/).

So I will focus on Windows Phone simulator and debug in IE10 is needed.

Thanks again for your help and your advices