Ionic Push? Is PushPlugin deprecated in iOS 8?

I’ve tried to set up Ionic push in my app. It works great in developer mode with iOS and Android and as well over GCM on Android. But unfortunately I didn’t get it working on iOS. It seems that the user identification is successful, but the device registration fails with this error (although an iOS token gets returned and saved on ionic.io):

enabledRemoteNotificationTypes is not supported in iOS 8.0 and later.

This was already opened as an issue on Github on October 2014. Furthermore, it seems that the plugin isn’t maintained anymore and PhoneGap is working on a replacement phonegap-plugin-push.

Can anybody confirm that the plugin should work nevertheless?

Cordova CLI: 5.1.1
Gulp version:  CLI version 3.8.11
Gulp local:   Local version 3.9.0
Ionic Version: 1.0.0
Ionic CLI Version: 1.5.5
Ionic App Lib Version: 0.2.2
ios-deploy version: 1.7.0
ios-sim version: 3.1.1
Node Version: v0.12.4
Xcode version: Xcode 6.3.2 Build version 6D2105

Am I alone with this problem? How do you support iOS 8 with ionic.io Push?

Edit: If anyone has the same problem: I installed the PushPlugin via a forked repository which includes a fix.

$ cordova plugin add https://github.com/rossmartin/PushPlugin.git

Mine managed to work with apple development credentials but not production level. Not sure whats up. Did yours work with production level credentials?

I haven’t tried it in production yet.

1. Have you configured your App ID with a production SSL certificate (in developer.apple.com)?
  2. Did you use this provisioning profile for archiving your app in Xcode?
  3. Have you uploaded your production certificate to ionic.io ($ ionic push --ios-prod-cert)?
  4. Are you in production mode in ionic.io ($ ionic push --production-mode=y)?

Hi,
We are just working on Ionic Push and before we started and read the docs we also noticed that Ionic Push ask us to use a plugin that is outdated and not maintained anymore like you say here.
Have you already tried and confirmed that the phonegap-plugin-push works with Ionic Push? Or are you still using the forked version from RossMartin? Or maybe another better fork?

I think we will consider using PushWoosh instead of Ionic Push because of these issues…

I’m still using the forked version from RossMartin. But it really bothers me that I have to use such an outdated plugin in combination with ionic push. The new phonegap-plugin-push has some essential updates, e.g. support for Android Lollipop and the definition of the small-icon and its background color.

In my opinion, Ionic should switch to the new plugin as soon as possible, if not immediately. A statement of the ionic team would be much appreciated.

I’ve already tried PushWoosh and I definitely can recommend it.

An statement from Ionic would be helpfull. @mhartington could you update us? I can’t understand why Ionic Push keeps getting promoted, but it seems to use outdated software.

We’ve been testing ionic push on iOS8 since day 1 and haven’t had any issue.
But seeing theres issues and its a bit dead in favor of the new plugin is news to me.
The new plugin looks pretty good ATM, we will take a look at it and see what would need to change in our code

Thanks for the heads up @markdark and @ohh2ahh

1 Like

I have the same problem

Barry Heuvel is probably working on the wrapper of the new replacement. There is already an issue for that in ng-cordova’s Github https://github.com/driftyco/ng-cordova/issues/919

Is there a fix it is not working on ios 9?