Ionic Pro: View blank on iOS

Hey all!

I’ve tried pushing one of our showcase apps to ionic view and it works just fine on Android, however on all of our iOS devices we’re presented with a blank screen. I’ve built a debug IPA with xcode and tested that and it seems to work perfectly.
Any idea why this would be happening?

Ionic view

IPA

(version details
ionic info

cli packages: (/Users/JD/WebstormProjects/SkateSpot_Lite/node_modules)

@ionic/cli-utils  : 1.9.2
ionic (Ionic CLI) : 3.9.2

global packages:

Cordova CLI : 7.0.1 

local packages:

@ionic/app-scripts : 2.1.4
Cordova Platforms  : android 6.1.2 browser 4.1.0 ios 4.3.1
Ionic Framework    : ionic-angular 3.6.1

System:

Android SDK Tools : 25.2.5
Node              : v6.11.0
npm               : 5.4.2 
OS                : macOS Sierra
Xcode             : Xcode 8.3.2 Build version 8E2002 

)

The View is not blank, you can see the header - that is different and important.

Unfortunately Ionic View can not be debugged, so quite hard to find out what is going on here.

Thank you for the reply, is there anything I should attempt to debug on the app’s side. Just to ensure that it’s nothing on our end that’s causing this.

I have the same problem on Ionic Pro. I assumed googlemaps just don’t show on iOS.
You can try adding to your scss belonging to the component your map is in,

ion-app._gmaps_cdv_ .nav-decor {
background-color: transparent !important
}

BEFORE anything else in the scss file

Thanks for the response jaydz, we are using agm-maps but I’ll attempt something similar.
As you can see, we also have a card that is supposed to appear underneath the map, that isn’t appearing either.

Just added some error handling.
The map isn’t being shown because it is tied to a boolean value that indicates whether or not the user’s location has been successfully fetched by the geolocation plugin, which it is not.

I’m going to look further into why the geolocation plugin is not functioning on ionic pro view on iOS only, for now, does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I see that now. Hopefully the suggestion I put out there translates to agm.

Again though, I’ve had the same experience on Ionic pro with google maps not being visible. It’s strange, because actions that rely on the map, like LatLng bounds, places searches based on the view, work. This leads me to believe that the map is actually there, but just can’t be seen.

Reason for hope

I must say, after a year of programming, the discrepancies between iOS and android behaviors, Apple’s limitations that make it necessary to build and publish to the AppStore with a Mac, different languages needed to program for each platform, etc. have gone from frustrating to infuriating.

I realize that Ionic and other products like it allow for overcoming the programming language barrier, but then, you run into problems like this on a regular basis.

The forum here is choked with questions about why our apps respond (or don’t) differently depending on iOS or android.

How on earth can we expect to progress at an optimal level with so many hurdles and brick walls? Recently I’m seriously considering putting a legitimate amount of energy into gathering resources to develop a new mobile platform whose main concern is universal use of apps of any and all kinds. Making phone calls and texting would be included too.

Further, there’s absolutely no reason there can’t be an “app store” that accepts submissions from any and all computers.

The inherent difficulties the 2 major platforms provide in the realm of developing are ridiculous, and horribly counter productive.