How can i update my ionic 3 app to ionic4?

I can’t find step by step guide to install ionic 4 and I am not sure which version I need to download can someone tell me how to upgrade to ionic 4/angular 8.

1 Like

With major versions, I would always recommend spawning a new project with ionic start and then parachuting your old app code in manually. I find generally better results with that strategy than with any attempt to upgrade in place.

4 Likes

what about this: https://ionicframework.com/docs/building/migration ?

1 Like

Ionic 3 to 4 is not trivial as I have discovered, there are many differences in how the pages load, lifecycle events, modals interact etc and the syntax too.

It’s simply not worth the effort of trying to do it in place.

Start a new project - bite the bullet and port over the app bit by bit.

For what it’s worth, I think the migration guide provided by Ionic team is misleading and should not be followed.

1 Like

Yeah it is rough for some apps I agree. In my case my side project was quite big and I did a lot of html templating (extended Ionic components with my custom css a lot). This was probably the major big thing.

But still the migration was worth it in my case and knowing all the stories from people experiencing a lot of pain I just made sure I did a lot of prep work before actual migration.

Captured my experience in this article a while ago.