Fake: All PhoneGap apps will be rejected by App Strore? Also Cordova?

Post Edited By Mike Hartington, Ionic Team.

This post has been seen circulating google results for some time now. While the topic has been in fact deemed to be a fake, we want to make sure that those coming from Google/search results are made aware right away, rather than scrolling all the way down.

Apple/iOS App Store is not banning hybrid apps. Any claims of such are 100% false

Cheers :beers:

Someone showed me a printscreen of an e-mail by iTunesConnect that explicitly says: “Early 2019 new apps created from software or platform like Xamarin, PhoneGap, Appacelerator, Trillian will be rejected” and they are already changing the way they are doing things just because they use ionic and cordova.

I have already an app on App Store and it was built with ionic and cordova. I’m not using a template, the majority of code was built for me except for cordova plugins. My app is unique,it is functional and it has utility for its users.

Just because I use cordova to generate the App, can I be in trouble with that Apple’s rule?

Thanks

1 Like

That sounds not good
 then iOS export feature on ionic will be useless by early 2019?
I wonder what led Apple to this decision?

Then how about React Native?
Are they going to accept apps built on Java only?
Eventually Java will be the only replacement if they’re going to be hard on framework users

I decided to not work on Java because of its slow android emulator which takes 3+ hours to build android OS on my laptop.

I don’t get it, they will only accept native apps? What will be the point of Hibrid apps if we can’t have them on appstore?

Xamarin is C# based native app.
I guess they’re going to accept Java app only
basically the ones that are not based on any framework.
If possible, please ask them if Ionic & React Native are included in their ban list.

That might affect Ionic Creator, I don’t know. It doesn’t affect code you create yourself with the Ionic Framework. Code you write yourself is not from a template or generation service. This is good news for programmers, and bad news for hobbyists.

They’re saying they will reject apps created from PhoneGap, Xamarin

That is a vague statement which doesn’t clarify if they’ll ban all or just the ones which rely on basic template of the frameworks.

Actually iOS uses Objective-C and SWIFT (Apples’ made-up language)

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully not all cordova apps will be banned

That document is unsettling. ‘Early 2019 new apps created from a software of platform like Xamarin, PhoneGap, Appcelerator, Trillian" will be rejected’.

Whether that’s accurate, impacts Ionic projects or not, etc., I don’t know.
The fact that it’s possible and wouldn’t be surprising + Apple literally creating a programming language on the fly in order to segregate their app-dev process even further from anything that isn’t Apple = my next phone is an Android.

3 Likes

Yeah, developers should boycott apple phones until they realize this is not okay.

3 Likes

Has there been any official reply by Apple specifically about Ionic/Cordova apps?

Sadly, I assume most developers realize it’s not OK, but Apple is very powerful and pays the mortgage for a lot of those developers. In my opinion, Apples’ approach to app development is socially and morally irresponsible. Exploitative, in many very small ways. Small enough that they add up without making much sound.

Until now I know only 1 source for this information:

All other location, like this here or reddit use the same image.

I would be skeptical for now. Let’s make sure this is not a fake

If it is not: Strange collection of tools.
Trillian was a chat client for AIM, ICQ etc, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Man, I forgot about Trillian. It looks like it’s still a chat client.

I would be surprised if this wasn’t a phishing email.

Why would Apple put lots of resources into WKWebview (which is awesome!) if they were going to ban apps that use web view?

Also, I haven’t gotten any email like this on my developer account. If they were changing policy, then they would probably alert everyone

2 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t carry a whole lot of weight. Then again, maybe Apple will be announcing their new Web-App-store at the end of 2018.

This is complete bullshit and is someone either trolling or trying to push FUD for their own aim (or it’s a phishing email as some suspect). It’s clearly fake. Every single technology that is popular outside of stock Swift/Obj-c would be at risk if that were true.

Also the template app issue is completely different. That’s if you have a tool that generates clones of your app for a lot of users.

On another note, we’ve had a number of people tell us that Apple support/review employees actually recommend Ionic to those that have gotten bit by template app issues.

14 Likes

Thanks for the clarification Max! It’s comforting to hear that Apple has recommended ionic to developers that were not approved due to template apps not meeting App Store guidelines.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth

8 Likes