Definitely Ionic 4 is not ready yet

A lot of warnings of deprecated packages, missing dependencies, during npm install. Thats a new project created with ionic start Newapp blank --type=angular:

Definitely Ionic 4 is not ready yet.

npm WARN deprecated istanbul-lib-hook@1.2.1: 1.2.0 should have been a major version bump
npm WARN deprecated nodemailer@2.7.2: All versions below 4.0.1 of Nodemailer are deprecated. See https://nodemailer.com/status/
npm WARN deprecated mailcomposer@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm WARN deprecated socks@1.1.9: If using 2.x branch, please upgrade to at least 2.1.6 to avoid a serious bug with socket data flow and an import issue introduced in 2.1.0
npm WARN deprecated uws@9.14.0: stop using this version
npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.8: Use uuid module instead
npm WARN deprecated buildmail@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm WARN deprecated socks@1.1.10: If using 2.x branch, please upgrade to at least 2.1.6 to avoid a serious bug with socket data flow and an import issue introduced in 2.1.0
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN @ionic/ng-toolkit@1.0.2 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/architect@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @ionic/ng-toolkit@1.0.2 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/build-angular@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @ionic/ng-toolkit@1.0.2 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/core@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @ionic/ng-toolkit@1.0.2 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/schematics@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @ionic/schematics-angular@1.0.3 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/core@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @ionic/schematics-angular@1.0.3 requires a peer of @angular-devkit/schematics@0.7.0-rc.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
found 6 vulnerabilities (1 low, 5 moderate)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details
Ionic:

ionic (Ionic CLI)          : 4.0.3 (/Users/xxxx/.nvm/versions/node/v8.11.3/lib/node_modules/ionic)
   Ionic Framework            : @ionic/angular 4.0.0-beta.1
   @angular-devkit/core       : 0.7.2
   @angular-devkit/schematics : 0.7.2
   @angular/cli               : 6.1.2
   @ionic/ng-toolkit          : 1.0.2
   @ionic/schematics-angular  : 1.0.3

System:

NodeJS : v8.11.3 (/Users/xxx/.nvm/versions/node/v8.11.3/bin/node)
   npm    : 6.3.0
   OS     : macOS High Sierra

I opened a issue in GitHub and Ionic team kindly answered:

1 Like

Then again, you’re using a beta…

My team is using Ionic 4 with Capacitor in a production app. The application uses image caching, offline data storage, local video/audio recording, offline PDF viewers, and e-learning support.

Hate seeing all this “can’t” and “not ready” talk. If you put in the work, Ionic is ready. We’ve plugged bugs, ran temporary forks for stencil components that had bugs; ran our own implementation of infinite scroll lists, etc. The core platform is ready.

3 Likes

I’m not as certain as you, but at the moment, it looks that way to me too. I’ve been using parts of the core with Ionic 3/Stencil literally for months. Finally transitioning to Ionic 4 full on, no problems yet.