Appstore does not update app correctly

Hi everyone,
I am posting here because I am having very weird behavior of my app after a updating it via the store.
This is occuring most on iOS than Android. For example, a bug is present in the app, the update is supposed to resolve the bug, but no, after the update the bug is still here and the user has to make a complete uninstall/reinstall to get the fix …
It seems the js files of the application are not correctly updated, like if some cache were acting in the webview, is it possible ?
Has anyone experienced this ?

Thanks in advance !

When testing the app locally with ionic serve or manually with ionic cordova build ios it works as expected?
Do you have Ionic Deploy or another similar tech installed in the app?

Hi, thanks for your answer.
Testing locally works perfect.
I don’t have ionic deploy or anything of this kind :frowning:

What kind of bug are you fixing and not seeing?
What kind of changes are you not seeing?

It can be anything, for example a variable has been left undefined that’s causing a bug, the update defines this variable and fix the bug, but updating the app through the appstore does not apply the change of initialising the variable.

Do you by chance have the https://ionicframework.com/docs/native/app-version/ plugin installed and can 100% confirm the correct version was installed?

Normally an update from the store fully replaces the app with all its HTML/JS content. I have only seen such problems when some process re-downloaded an old deploy from Ionic Deploy.

Please post your ionic info output so we know a bit about your environment.

Hi,
I could not say if the version code of the app is updated. I have not reproduced the problem myself unfortunately :confused:

Here is the output of ionic info :

Your system information:

Cordova CLI: 6.5.0
Gulp version: CLI version 3.9.1
Gulp local: Local version 3.9.1
Ionic Version: 1.3.2
Ionic CLI Version: 1.7.14
Ionic App Lib Version: 0.7.0
ios-deploy version: 1.9.1
ios-sim version: Not installed
Node Version: v4.4.3
Xcode version: Not installed

Dependency warning - for the CLI to run correctly,
it is highly suggested to install/upgrade the following:

Install ios-sim to deploy iOS applications. npm install -g ios-sim (may require sudo)

I don’t know if the problem could come from ios-sim ?

Thanks !

So the problem doesn’t happen to all users all the time but only some?
And it was only reported by a user and you haven’t seen it yourself?

Nah, that is just for local development.

Actually the problem seems to happen on iOS users, and have been reported by many of them.
Sometimes the app is completely bugged on some users, so much problems that it make the app unusable. But if the user uninstall and reinstall, the app works perfectly …

Ok, but that might as well be a seperate problem - buggy apps and the feeling of “not it is all much better” after a reinstall can be caused by any local data the app keeps (that is removed by reinstallation), including account logins etc.

The problem that an update doesn’t actually change the HTML/JS content is much more interesting.

(There was a post today by someone who had the same problem - but as usual I can’t find it right now)

Thanks Sujan12. I have this problem too. Install an update and the app uses the original js/html/css files on relaunch. The app is fine once the user restarts the app. Not ideal at all. If someone else has this problem and finds a solution please let us know. I have updates to provide and until this is solved I cannot push the update.

any updates on this? I am having the same issue right now. both android and ios and it is already publish from their store.

Share you code or the page where the app is bugguing .

facing issue when we have native feature added. user has to reinstall , doesn’t seems to work with app update. any work around?