<video> tag in HTML crashes ionic app in android

Our Ionic app uses videogular2 package along with HTML video tag to have a video player . It was working fine for the past few years but suddenly from last week the android app crashes when video is played .

When I tried to have just video tag alone in my app it still causes the crash , so I’m able to pin down the issue to video tag in html file . But it works fine in web and iOS app . I would be grateful if someone can help/share experience since this is a major functionality in the app.

Here is the sample code:

<vg-player oncontextmenu="return false" onselectstart="return false" ondragstart="return false" (onPlayerReady)="playerReady($event)" (click)="toggleControl($event)" >

<video #master [vgMedia]="master" [vgMaster]="true" webkit-playsinline=“webkit-playsinline”
            playsinline="playsinline" preload="metadata" autoplay="false" crossorigin
            [src]="config.video.src | sanitizeResource">
        </video>

Ionic Cli version : 6.9.1
Angular version: 7.2.16

you should check if you have updated your app packages recently and if yes, try to understand which one crashes

Angular version was upgraded to 7 a month back . So do you suggest checking that too, because it was working fine for 3 months with Angular 7

Try to make a brand new project and copy the code, if it works on the new project, i would start checking all the packages

Thanks for the reply. You are saying to try with Angular 6 ? Just making sure because I’m still learning to resolve these issues

No, if it was working fine. Maybe you have updated some other dependencies or libraries. Do you have any version control system (like git) so you can go back to a certain date and check if you have changes in your packages.json

Anyway, try the same.code in a blank project

Yea got it. I do use git so I can try

I reverted all my dependencies to previous working state . Still the app crashes on playing video

Looks like an issue with Android Webview . Downgrading version means app doesnot crash like before . But still figuring out how to find a fix for this , since asking clients to downgrade is not feasible

Try to make a brand new project and copy the code, if it works on the new project, i would start checking all the packages