Update an existing app on Android Play Store

Hi,
I have followed the steps mentioned here
https://ionicframework.com/docs/v1/guide/publishing.html to publish my first version to google play store. Now, for updating, it is mentioned that i have to change the version number in config.xml.
Changed that and then performed

ionic cordova build --release android

What are the next steps to publish an update. I followed the same steps but messed up my keystore. Just trying to be careful.

This is what I do to update my app to android play store:

1. Change version in config.xml
  2. Enter ionic cordova build --release android command
  3. Change cmd path to where you locate your java folder in your pc

(Example— C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_161\bin)

1. Enter command: jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore android_private_key.keystore app-release-unsigned.apk aliasname
    *you have generated the .keystore when you publish your app. Find the path of where you locate .keystore file last time

(Example— jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore C:\Users\Admin\android_private_key.keystore C:\Users\Admin\myapp\platforms\android\app\build\outputs\apk\release\app-release-unsigned.apk KeyAlias)

1. Chang cmd path to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\build-tools\27.0.3
  2. Enter command: zipalign -v 4 app-release-unsigned.apk NEWAPKNAME.apk

(Example ---- zipalign -v 4 C:\Users\Admin\myapp\platforms\android\app\build\outputs\apk\release\app-release-unsigned.apk C:\Users\Admin\MYNAME.apk)

1. Upload MYNAME.apk to play store

You may need to change all the C:\Users\Admin path according to your own. Depends on where you locate your app folder.

2 Likes

Let me mention one CRITICAL thing, you MUST SIGN THE APP WITH THE SAME KEY. Otherwise you are unable to update that app. No exceptions.

1 Like