Unable to install ionic 7.5 or 8 using npm install -g @ionic/cli@latest

I have been trying for 3 increasingly frustrating days now to install ionic/cli 7.5 or 8 for a new angular/standalone project. I have tried this on my primary Debian linux development machine AND a fresh debian install on an old gaming laptop I had sitting around. In both cases I see:

andy@Andy-Game:~$ node -v
v22.5.1
andy@Andy-Game:~$ npm -v
andy@Andy-Game:~$ ionic -v
-bash: /home/andy/.nvm/versions/node/v22.5.1/bin/ionic: No such file or directory
andy@Andy-Game:~$ npm install -g @ionic/cli@latest
npm warn deprecated inflight@1.0.6: This module is not supported, and leaks memory. Do not use it. Check out lru-cache if you want a good and tested way to coalesce async requests by a key value, which is much more comprehensive and powerful.
npm warn deprecated rimraf@3.0.2: Rimraf versions prior to v4 are no longer supported
npm warn deprecated glob@7.2.3: Glob versions prior to v9 are no longer supported
npm warn deprecated superagent@8.1.2: Please upgrade to v9.0.0+ as we have fixed a public vulnerability with formidable dependency. Note that v9.0.0+ requires Node.js v14.18.0+. See Update formidable by tomstrong64 · Pull Request #1800 · ladjs/superagent · GitHub for insight. This project is supported and maintained by the team at Forward Email @ https://forwardemail.net

added 204 packages in 6s

andy@Andy-Game:~$ ionic -v

I also tried forcing it to install 7.5 or 8 with “npm install -g @ionic/cli@8” and get “No matching version found for @ionic/cli@8”

I assume I am doing something really “stupid nube” that prevents me from fetching the latest versions, but I can’t figure out what.

And If I go ahead and do ionic/angular/standalone app development with 7.2.0, I run into all sorts of issues because versions < 7.5.0 don’t fully support standalone apps.

Please someone show me where I am messing this up.

Thank you.

OK. Now I am really confused. I looked at github at [GitHub - ionic-team/ionic-cli: The Ionic command-line interface] and there in CHANGELOG.md you can see that the latest version is 7.2. Exactly what I am getting when I install @ionic/cli@latest.

However, if you go look at [ionic-framework/CHANGELOG.md at 2bc3b1feae45b4b10beb343699947541da9dfbfe · ionic-team/ionic-framework · GitHub], that package is up to 8.2.5 and is probably what is needed for ionic/angular/standalone apps.

So do I just ignore the Ionic CLI docs “The Ionic command-line interface (CLI) is the go-to tool for developing Ionic apps.” ? The Installation Guide at How to Install The Ionic Framework CLI to Build Mobile Apps only says to run "npm install -g @ionic/cli" which only provides up to 7.2 functionality and several things like ionicons don’t work.

I am going to try running this inside my project and see if it installs the needed functionality. Then I will submit an issue to the ionic-framework repository indicating that just installing ionic/cli isn’t sufficient for angular/standalone projects.

npm install @ionic/angular@latest --save

I would still like it if anyone would point out where I am missing something. I still think I am.

Well, installing @ionic/angular@latest seems to have fixed my outstanding issues. I just wish the Ionic Team or one of the training tutorials would have mentioned that just installing @ionic/cli@latest isn’t enough for angular/standalone.