Starter Template throws after build

Hiya, I have been tearing my hair out trying to get my machine to run an ionic android app in debug so that I can develop it on going. I concluded that it must be something to do with my machine environment, despite having followed the relevant tutorials and checklists. I have therefore ignored my project and gone back to starting with a starter template to verify my environment.

I have tried setting up to use Android Studio, Visual Studio 2017 and commandline. I have got farthest with the commandline and the starter template builds without errors (ionic cordova run android --device) and SAYS it has deployed to device or emulator but unfortunately nothing happens and all it provides me with is this error message :-

Package name: io.ionic.starter1
(node:12928) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection (rejection id: 1): Error: C:\Users\Mike.summers\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe: Command failed with exit code 1
(node:12928) [DEP0018] DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are deprecated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.

Anybodys help would be greatly appreciated.