Splash screen not working on Android


#1

I have an Ionic v1 app here which has been released to both app stores. Today I start working on a new feature and I notice that the icons and splash screens aren’t working. No code has been changed yet. Odd, I thought. I did all the usual things - resetting plugins, platforms, ionic state reset. Nothing worked. So I nuked the whole thing and checked out fresh from version control, added my platforms and tried again. Same problem.

I have a Jenkins server (Ubuntu 14.04, node 4.6, cordova 6.3.1). It still builds fine with a fresh checkout from version control. Something about this machine is breaking it. My guess is the newer version of node.

Splash and icons work fine in iOS, just not Android.

Broken system:

Cordova CLI: 6.4.0
Ionic CLI Version: 2.1.14
Ionic App Lib Version: 2.1.7
ios-deploy version: 1.9.0
ios-sim version: 5.0.12
OS: macOS Sierra
Node Version: v6.9.1
Xcode version: Xcode 8.1 Build version 8B62

Working system:

Cordova CLI: 6.3.1
Ionic CLI Version: 2.1.1
Ionic App Lib Version: 2.1.1
OS: Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Node Version: v4.6.1

The plugins I’m using are:

cordova-plugin-compat 1.1.0 "Compat"
cordova-plugin-console 1.0.2 "Console"
cordova-plugin-device 1.1.1 "Device"
cordova-plugin-email-composer 0.8.3 "EmailComposer"
cordova-plugin-file 4.2.0 "File"
cordova-plugin-splashscreen 3.0.0 "Splashscreen"
cordova-plugin-statusbar 2.1.2 "StatusBar"
cordova-plugin-whitelist 1.2.2 "Whitelist"
ionic-plugin-keyboard 2.0.1 "Keyboard"
phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner 6.0.3 “BarcodeScanner”

Any ideas out there?


#2

So the problem was that while I had gulp installed globally with npm install -g gulp, it also must be installed locally in the project. gulp is apparently used to hook and push the images into the platforms/android/res/ folder. And that’s all fine and good, but there was no error coming back from ionic platform add android, ionic state reset, ionic build, ionic run… I wish it would emit an error instead of swallow it.

What’s odd to me is that I already had gulp as a dep in my package.json and I did an ‘npm install’ to load it initially on checkout.
“dependencies”: {
“gulp”: “^3.5.6”,
“gulp-sass”: “^2.0.4”,
“gulp-concat”: “^2.2.0”,
“gulp-minify-css”: “^0.3.0”,
“gulp-rename”: “^1.2.0”
},
“devDependencies”: {
“bower”: “^1.3.3”,
“gulp-util”: “^2.2.14”,
“shelljs”: “^0.3.0”
},

But I had to manually run npm install -g gulp and then everything worked.