Recommendations for upgrading from Ionic v1

Hi all.

My app is running fine on v1.7.14. I am dreading the upgrade to v2x or even v3x but I know it has to be done. I am trying to take the least painful path that will allow me to upgrade with the least amount of code breaks and failures.

Questions:
A) Should I upgrade to v2 or go straight to v3? If so, what specific version of v2 or v3?
B) Should I step through upgrades? v1 -> v2 -> v3
C) I have a test iMac I am going to be doing this on so as not to disrupt my production environment; should I simply just wipe out everything and start from scratch and then just copy my app specific files (www folders, etc) into the fresh install
D) Simply upgrading Ionic will not be the only piece…I will also have to upgrade NodeJS and Cordova to…currently I am on slightly older versions because the latest versions breaks my Ionic v1 app. Are there specific releases of NodeJS and Cordova that I should move to to properly support the best answer to the above questions?

I am so fearful of everything that is going to break that I have been avoiding this for a long time…but the longer I avoid it I know I am only making it worse. But now that I finally have a Test iMac I feel I can at least figure out the new environment and fix all the code that will break before porting any of that mess over to my prod environment.

My current windows environment:'
C:\Users\RPO\dev\Whipster_0.1.96>ionic info

Your system information:

Cordova CLI: 7.0.1
Gulp version: CLI version 3.9.1
Gulp local: Local version 3.9.1
Ionic Version: 1.0.0
Ionic CLI Version: 1.7.14
Ionic App Lib Version: 0.7.0
Node Version: v6.10.3

Current iMac environment:
C:\Users\RPO\dev\Whipster_0.1.96>ionic info