Upgrading from Ionic Framework 1.3.1 to Ionic Framework v2

Hello Everyone,

I am currently developing a hybrid app as a POC to showcase Ionic’s capabilities with mobile development. I started the project with the 1.3.1 release, but after seeing Ionic 2’s new features I would like to update the project to the latest version of the Ionic framework. Will the migration/installation process restructure my project entirely? Will my current project be compatible with v2, or do I need to update the projects structure/dependencies? New to ionic and love it so far, any help from anyone who has gone through the upgrading process would be great!

Ionic Info:
Cordova CLI: 6.3.1
Gulp version: CLI version 3.9.1
Gulp local: Local version 3.9.1
Ionic Framework Version: 1.3.1
Ionic CLI Version: 2.0.0-beta.37
Ionic App Lib Version: 2.0.0-beta.20
Node Version: v4.4.7

In short, I want to upgrade from 1.3.1 to the new beta. Will doing so cause any major issues?

Thanks

@Sam20 Cheers! Did you find out anything? I am seeking the same information here (lots of questions—no replies) and Slack (so far nothing).

@dlhuffmanjr Nothing yet, still waiting for a response from anyone who knows. If nothing comes by Monday I am just going to backup the project and go forward with the update and I can let you know.

@Sam20 That is usually what I would do too. That is, just jump in and then trust that Time Machine will bail me out if necessary :-). That is precisely what I had to do yesterday after I tried the “npm install -g ionic” when it failed.

I have been looking, like others it appears, as I want to make the move to the latest platform as I am sure support will be better there. I have a Ionic 1.x app that is in alpha and don’t want to do anything that will cause me to lose time. If all I have to do is upgrade to Ionic 2, change the Push and Deploy logic, and my application runs fine then I am cool with that. I just can’t get a sense from anyone on the scope of work I am inheriting by making this move. I am certainly not ready to migrate to Angular 2 at this time and I don’t know if going to Ionic 2 necessitates that or not.