Rc3 => rc4

Hey folks,

I have always the same problem…

How can I update my version RC3 onto RC4? npm -g install ionic will always install RC3 - and if I install npm -g ionic@beta the new projects won’t work for some reason.

If I would like to update an existing project with ionic lib update from RC3 onto RC4 it keeps telling me “Unrecognized version”…

What can I do?

Thanks,
Oliver

use sudo npm install -g ionic@latest to get the latest

Worked fine - thanks a lot man!

Please stop recommending sudo. Don’t run things like npm as root.

Well when you’re doing a global install it will require root, at least for ionic. Otherwise you’ll get an EACCESS error. Trust me, I know you’re not supposed to run with sudo, but if it won’t work otherwise, what are you gonna do?

I’d like to back up my claims as well with the docs actually telling us to use sudo:

"
On Mac and Linux, you’ll need to add sudo to install Ionic globally:

$ sudo npm install -g ionic
"

True but if you fix npm permissions like this:
https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/fixing-npm-permissions
sudo wouldnt be necessary for any npm commands

Use nvm.

Thanks! This really should be included in the ionic documentation instead of recommending sudo. +1 for providing a helpful response.

Use nvm to manage node and npm - Node version manager - nvm https://github.com/creationix/nvm - it will simplify things with ionic

You can change your permissions recursively on /usr/local/lib to a+rwx (777) so you don’t have to keep doing everything with elevated privileges.

sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/local/lib

and how to update an existing project in RC3 to RC4?

Make sure your CLI is updated, then just update your package.json according to the release docs:

Then make sure to run npm install.

I just updated from RC3 to RC4 with little pain.
I run an app with ~50 pages and a bunch of plugins.

My experience:

• The creation of an apk has decreased from 4 minutes to 1 minute! (Win10, 8Gb RAM, i5-4200U CPU)
  • Plugin management is messy (I removed the plugins from the config.xml file to get my app running on Anfroid)
  • Startup time on an Nexus 5 has passed from 5 seconds to 13 seconds.

Can someone tell me if there is a particular reason for the increased startup time? Will it get better with the future releases?

You have to make sure to build with the production tag ionic build android --prod in order for it to utilize the same AoT compilation as in previous RCs. That could be the cause of the problem.

It worked, thanks a lot for the quick answer!

No problem! Glad to help!