For the past few weeks I’ve been working on a mobile application build on top of Ionic. I’m a front-end developer and I love the framework. It’s allowed me to quickly build a solid app using the techniques I already know from web development.
Now that my app is nearing completion I have a few questions regarding the packaging and release process. My apologies if these have been asked before. I did some searching, but couldn’t find any answers.
- I created my app using one of the generators:
ionic start myAppName sidemenu. This gave me a great start to work with. However, I notice that this pre-fills a lot of app-specific values in files like
AndroidManifest.xml(there are probably more.)
Do I need to change these? Will they show up anywhere in the app stores or on the user’s device? Have I missed any? In which files do I change these (I seem to have multiple
Here are some of the properties I’m talking about, and their default values:
- Package name:
An Ionic Framework and Cordova project.
- Author name:
Ionic Framework Team
- I’d like to update the version number before releasing. In which file(s) do I update this?
- What does the
ionic.projectfile do, and do I need it?
- How do I generate a APK file to upload to Google Play? Running
ionic build androidonly gives me
myApp-unsignedAPKs? I guess I’ll need
cordova build --release android?
- Some questions regarding compression/obfuscation:
- Is my app automatically compressed/obfuscated when it is packaged?
- Does it make sense to minify js/html/css before packaging, for minimizing file size and making it harder to reverse-engineer?
- Google recommends running ProGuard. Does Cordova run this automatically when signing or should I do this manually?
- I’d like to update Ionic to the latest version. I am currently running
1.0.0-beta.1. Do I just replace all files in
Thanks a lot in advance.