New category for Ionic 4

I know that the current principle is to use ionic as the category for the latest version, but when Ionic 4 is in Beta it is difficult to focus on Ionic 4 issues only.

Basically I am considering a upgrade of my app to Ionic 4 and would like only to focus on issues in Ionic 4

After starting the upgrading process (and going the Angular / Capacitor way) I have a lot of questions, and would like to give people still on v3 a simple way of ignoring my questions.

So why not create a new category for ionic 4?

Best regards
Thorvald

1 Like

“ionic” is the category for >= v4
“ionic-v3” >= v2 & <= v3
“ionic-v1” = v1

This classification is a bit strange, because when Ionic v5 will be available it will not be possible to distinguish between a discussion about Ionic v4 and a discussion about Ionic v5.
Probably the categories: ionic-v4, ionic-v3, ionic-v2, ionic-v1 would have been more intuitive.
With the possibility to choose one or more of them.

cld

1 Like

I think what they try to achieve is to not distinguish anymore the version, therefor they say it’s “just” ionic

Mine is not a criticism, I just wanted to say that different versions of a framework have different problems and solutions and it would be nice to differentiate them.
Especially when the architecture changes often and radically as it is happening for Ionic.

cld

1 Like

Which is the actual differentiation between, but I’m agree with you to some points

“ionic” is the category for >= v4
“ionic-v3” >= v2 & <= v3
“ionic-v1” = v1

I don’t like the current approach either, but your citicism is moot: When v5 comes out the current ionic could just be renamed to ionic-v4 and a new ionic created for use with Ionic 5.

I could understand the logical behind too. Now that v4 is based on web components, I hope that Ionic v5 gonna be a small upgrade like Angular v5 to v6. If it’s the case, then having one same category could make sense…but I won’t be against a ionic-v4 category neither :wink:

personnellement je me serais aussi mieux retrouvé avec une catégorie V4 :wink:

2 Likes