Integrating Chromium WebView with Ionic framework

Hi i’m new to ionic. I created a sample app and ran it on Nexus 4 (Android 4.4) as well as samsung galaxy S3 (Android 4.1 ICS). I integrated Facebook and had a page displaying a big list of friends with their profile pic (about 450). I see that the scrolling is much faster in nexus 4 than in samsung galaxy. I did some googling and found out that on Android 4.4, the default WebView uses Chromium WebView but on Android 4.1 it uses CordovaWebView.

I would like to get the same performance for the samsung phone and embed Chromium inside the code generated by ionic platform. Has anyone tried this ? Please help.

Check out Crosswalk.

1 Like

Also, Searching showed these other topics that might be of interest.

Thanks all for your reply. One more question, is there any other way to optimise really long lists in HTML5 so that scroll is smoother on lower Android versions as well. I tried implementing infinite scroll but thats not making too much difference as well.
Is there a way to compile the app code much more closer to Native ?

Or can we fine tune ionic somehow to perform better for scrolling really big lists

Yes infinite scroll was just added! Checkout collection-repeat which was just added in Beta 2! :smile:

Thanks…thats made the scroll so much better. I tried this code pen code

on Nexus 4 (android 4.4) as well as on Samsung Galaxy S3 (android 4.1)…on the samsung phone, it seems to hang mid-way during the scroll. IT looks like some kind of bug.
You can try cloning it from here:
git clone https://gist.github.com/11531038.git

The logs show the following error when the list scroll hangs:

D/CordovaLog(20585): http://code.ionicframework.com/1.0.0-beta.3/js/ionic.bundle.js: Line 32999 : Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property ‘webkitTransform’ of undefined
E/Web Console(20585): Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property ‘webkitTransform’ of undefined:32999

I would suggest creating a new topic on the forum since this has deviated from the original one. :wink:

Could you create an issue for this @shivanik?

Created the issue. Thanks