Inputs are not responding on android 4.2

I’ve built my app now for iOS, and it works great. I built for android, and on version 6.x it seems to be working fine. HOWEVER. When I try to run it on a device on 4.4 and lower, the app breaks somehow. I get the screen, it compiles, everything seems dandy, BUT I cannot use the basic input fields for login! This is also true when accessing the PWA version through the browser! Why is this happening? has anyone had a similar issue?

If you’re not using Crosswalk, you probably should be. I think that’s the only way to target older android versions.

Well I’ve got the plugin installed. Do I need to activate it somehow?

Crosswalk version 20 (and beyond) no longer supports Android 4. I personally decided I wouldn’t use Ionic to build for such devices. There may be a way to do it, but it’s probably a bit of a mess.

Crosswalk doesn’t support version 4.0, meaning the lowest sdk version is 16 (as stated in the notice as well). Therefore Crosswalk DOES support 4.2 and up, which is what I am targeting

All I can say is be careful. Ionic 2 doesn’t support Android 4.2, so you’re leaning on Crosswalk to do all the work. And are you sure Crosswalk supports it? I don’t mean the docs say they do – I mean the Github pulls etc are actively dealing with issues. I don’t know the answer to my question, but I do know that the Crosswalk FAQ still says they support Android 4.0, which is no longer true. So the docs may not be 100% representative of reality.

I’m not referencing the docs. I am referencing the notice you get during buildtime that states they are dropping 4.0 support. Anyway, my question I guess is how do I make sure crosswalk is actually used? It must be something I’m doing wrong, because I am 90% sure people have gotten basic inputs to work on old android devices no?

The only steps I’ve taken is to install the plugin, but I am not sure if I need to do more than that (add calls somewhere in code or a build time hook?)

Hello, here is the documentation on how to use crosswalk for cordova https://crosswalk-project.org/documentation/cordova.html

Hello everyone,

I’m also having issues to run an app made in Ionic 2 in a device running Android 4.2.2. In my case both the input fields and the buttons are not responding at all.

@S.G, I tried to use Crosswalk but as soon as I try to open the app I receive the following message:

The connection to the server was unsuccessful (file:///android_asset/www/index.html’)

I’m using ionic-angular 2.0.0-rc.3. I’m going to try to update this package to the latest version but my hopes are low.

Regards,
Fagner

@fagnerc Last time I used crosswalk is when ionic 2 still in beta phase… after that I decide to limit building scope to kitkat or newer version only…

check App not working well in jelly bean?

From what I know, your browser can’t render the html correctly (i.e: you get ‘unresponsive’ element, etc)

If you have no primary reason to target older device, I suggest to limit your app to 4.4 or newer :slight_smile:

@alex_key if you install crosswalk, they should be used already when you build your app… you will get the ARM and/or x86 version of your apk (which should have larger file size in general)

1 Like

Hello @wienzzz,

Seems like this was my fault. This error that I reported coincidentally started to happen after I installed Crosswalk and I thought Crosswalk was responsible for it but I was wrong. This was happening because I’m not using the native Google Maps component in my app and the index.html have a reference for the Google Maps API in an external URL that takes some time to load sometimes. For now I added the following entry in the config.xml but I’m going to replace this component with the native one:

<preference name="loadUrlTimeoutValue" value="700000" />

Crosswalk is working fine with Android 4.2.2 for now.
Thank you for your fast response, I appreciate that :slight_smile:

Regards,
Fagner

Alright. Still have the same issue, but we decided to drop support for older Android devices. Thanks for the help.