Encoding or charset issue with JSON payload

I have an ionic application that fetches data from a remote web server (json). The response is UTF-8 and has some French characters. The issue is that these French characters are not displayed correctly in the app.
i.e. Synthétique is shown as Synthétique.
the é in utf-8 has code C3A9 (two bytes) which matches à and © in iso-8859-1 which seems to imply that there enconding from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1.
What I am doing wrong here? or what do I need to do to get the French characters correctly displayed.

1 Like

You can use these tools JSON Formatter or JSON Viewer to validate json data.

Did you solve it in the end? Having similar problems getting data that has formatting and its lost.

Yes, I had to rely on a hack and do manual conversion on the client side. I was passing each incoming French string through the function below:

export class Hack {

public static fromUTF8String(intpuStr) {
        let data = [];

for (let i = 0; i < intpuStr.length; ++i) {
            data.push(intpuStr.charCodeAt(i));
        }

var str = '',
            i;

for (i = 0; i < data.length; i++) {
            var value = data[i];

if (value < 0x80) {
                str = str.concat(String.fromCharCode(value));
            } else if (value > 0xBF && value < 0xE0) {
                str = str.concat(String.fromCharCode((value & 0x1F) << 6 | data[i + 1] & 0x3F));
                i += 1;
            } else if (value > 0xDF && value < 0xF0) {
                str = str.concat(String.fromCharCode((value & 0x0F) << 12 | (data[i + 1] & 0x3F) << 6 | data[i + 2] & 0x3F));
                i += 2;
            } else {
                // surrogate pair
                var charCode = ((value & 0x07) << 18 | (data[i + 1] & 0x3F) << 12 | (data[i + 2] & 0x3F) << 6 | data[i + 3] & 0x3F) - 0x010000;

str = str.concat(String.fromCharCode(charCode >> 10 | 0xD800, charCode & 0x03FF | 0xDC00));
                i += 3;
            }
        }

return str;
    }
}

This is not a solution I did come-up with but found it online long time ago, can’t find the original.

1 Like

Thanks! Must try that!

Thanks, this hack works for me!! You saved my day^^