Converting projects to work with pnpm

I have a bunch of little apps that I have developed using npm, and the node_modules directories eat up a ton of disk space, so I am investigating switching to pnpm, which I understand should help.

I did this command: ionic config set -g npmClient pnpm

And then I created a new ionic project and built it and it all worked great.

But, when I go to an older project, delete the node_modules directory, and then do pnpm install and then ionic build, I get lots of errors.

E.g.,

Generating browser application bundles (phase: setup)...file:///Users/vtn2/ionic/whoswho/node_modules/.pnpm/@angular+compiler-cli@13.2.7_rve3xvdirwufokwcjqaqs6xv7i/node_modules/@angular/compiler-cli/bundles/chunk-CTSDWZWQ.js:941
      throw new Error(`The target entry-point "${invalidTarget.entryPoint.name}" has missing dependencies:
            ^

Error: The target entry-point "ngx-material-rating" has missing dependencies:
 - @angular/cdk/coercion
 - @angular/material/button
 - @angular/material/icon
 - ngx-range
 - @angular/material/core

Should this work or should I give up on this?

Am I missing a step that is required?

Thanks.

Vic

Hi,

In my experience, it is possible to make pnpm work with some extra efforts.

Because some of the default behavior in pnpm is sightly different from npm (Reference: Feature Comparison | pnpm), I usually enable the Hoisted node_modules feature to avoid some errors related to missing dependencies.

1. Enable the Hoisted node_modules feature for pnpm

create a .npmrc file in the project root, then add the following line:

shamefully-hoist=true

After that, regenerate a new node_modules directory (remove it, then run pnpm install) before running build command.

2. Install missing dependencies manually

If the missing dependencies error still occurs, try to install them via pnpm install command.

e.g. If the error messages look like the following:

Error: The target entry-point "ngx-material-rating" has missing dependencies:
 - @angular/cdk/coercion
 - @angular/material/button
 - @angular/material/icon
 - ngx-range
 - @angular/material/core

This means we could run pnpm install @angular/cdk @angular/material ngx-range to install them.

3. Misc

Also, you might want to do pnpm exec ng config cli.packageManager pnpm command.
This setting will make Angular cli using pnpm instead of npm when performing something like ng update.

1 Like

Now I’m trying to make an android build and I get this error. I wonder if you’ve seen this before?

ionic cap build
? What platform would you like to build for? android
Error: Non-zero exit from subprocess.

at Integration.<anonymous>
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/lib/integrations/capacitor/index.js:46:27)
at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
at async BuildCommand.getInstalledPlatforms
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/commands/capacitor/base.js:117:21)
at async BuildCommand.isPlatformInstalled
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/commands/capacitor/base.js:133:27)
at async BuildCommand.checkForPlatformInstallation
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/commands/capacitor/base.js:232:19)
at async BuildCommand.preRun
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/commands/capacitor/build.js:95:9)
at async BuildCommand.execute
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/lib/command.js:42:13)
at async Executor.run
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/lib/executor.js:54:9)
at async Executor.execute
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli-framework@5.1.3/node_modules/@ionic/cli-framework/lib/executor.js:70:13)
at async Object.run
(/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/index.js:110:9)

Here is my ionic info output:

ionic info
[WARN] Error loading @capacitor/ios package.json: Error: Cannot find module '@capacitor/ios/package'

Require stack:
       - /Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/lib/project/index.js
       - /Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/lib/index.js
       - /Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/index.js
       - /Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli/bin/ionic

Ionic:

Ionic CLI                     : 6.20.8 (/Users/vtn2/Library/pnpm/global/5/.pnpm/@ionic+cli@6.20.8/node_modules/@ionic/cli)
   Ionic Framework               : @ionic/angular 5.9.4
   @angular-devkit/build-angular : 12.1.4
   @angular-devkit/schematics    : 12.2.18
   @angular/cli                  : 12.1.4
   @ionic/angular-toolkit        : 4.0.0

Capacitor:

Capacitor CLI      : 3.2.0
   @capacitor/android : 3.2.0
   @capacitor/core    : 3.2.0
   @capacitor/ios     : not installed

Utility:

cordova-res : not installed globally
   native-run  : 1.7.1

System:

NodeJS : v16.19.0 (/Users/vtn2/.nvm/versions/node/v16.19.0/bin/node)
   npm    : 8.19.3
   OS     : macOS

I haven’t seen this kind of error before, so I’m not 100% sure what is the root cause.

You could try the following steps instead of ionic cap build:

1. ionic build
  2. npx cap sync
  3. npx cap open android
  4. Use Android Studio to build the apk

jonz84: that worked!

You have helped me a lot. Thanks!

1 Like