Are you using Ionic for websites? Need suggestions and experiences

Hi Everyone,

We are a team of 3 to 4, just completing app Development using ionic, moving to develop a website with same set of features as that in Mobile App,

Need to complete a Web Applications within short period of time.

Situation we are in now:
Team is only familiar with ng4 & Bootstrap framework, Ionic2
Just finishing app Development,
Very less time to develop Web Site with similar features as that in Mobile App with just a month ( max 2 ppl can work) .
Need to support all the modern set of browser along with the support in Mobile browsers.

Current App scope:
App has set of native features, ( camera, file, social sharing, push… )
charts, reports, compare details.
Nearly 40 to 50 ionic pages.

Considering the current state of Ionic, How do you see choosing same code base and continue working with Ionic and make layout and other minor changes in code?

Do you have any better suggestions,

All your feed back and suggestions will help us decide better path

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

What is the target environment for the website - mobile or desktop?

This will have to be replaced as native features via Cordova are not (ionic build) or only partially (ionic cordova build browser) supported by PWA/webapp/websites.

Target for website would be primarily IE, Firefox, Safari on windows Linux and Mac ( both desktop and mobile-android )
Native features used should be completely replaced with equivalent ones,

Hm, making the Ionic UI work well on desktop is not that easy.

Here is one example that looks quite nice though: https://savelist.co/

1 Like

I am a facing a similar question.
Whether to use Ionic for desktop browser as well or switch to another material design library that provides desktop support out of the box?
I have done an implementation before using Ionic 2 and trying to support IE was challenging.
We often get clients that have strict requirement on browser support so we went down the path of writing some fixes and hacks where the Ionic was not supporting IE.
Going through all the effort, still web version on desktop is like a magnified mobile version and to make it optimised for big screen it takes more effort and conditional coding of css and html.
My feeling is if we go based on a separation of View Component and reuse the code at the service level or reusable code bits it will be a better experience.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m facing the same situation as you,
Did you happen to find something suitable for your need, a template maybe , which reference you would be willing to share?
That’d be very nice

@govindappaarun
@Parham
@rsmusic

You may be able to provide all these feature using a PWA.

Split Pane can be used to support different device resolutions.

See:

And, you can even bundle your App with Electron.

See:

The Angular 6 CLI includes support for workspaces. And, the ‘ng add’ command supports Angular Material and Clarity from VMWare.

@Sujan12 How did savelist.co implement routing without having the “#” in the url?

Don’t know. Will have to ask them somehow. Maybe ask https://twitter.com/savelistco?

In a v3 app in app.module.ts

IonicModule.forRoot(MyApp, {
   locationStrategy: 'path'
}

=> no hashbang in url, other problems like not being able to refresh an url while doing ionic serve, but no hashbang

1 Like

It looks like you can use Ionic 5 for Websites too, using the Angular router :slight_smile:

I hope this helps to you:

https://devdactic.com/building-websites-ionic-4/