Android 8.1 Icons not displaying

For anyone else looking at this - I’ve raised an issue with Chromium team here

2 Likes

Hi Richard. I also got the same issue in Yu5014 android 8.1
Any workaround?

Thanks
George

We’re currently waiting for the Chromium team to give us an idea of when a fix will be available. Please star the issue and add a comment if you can.

Hello Richard,

Same issue here.
Any tips ?

Thanks!

@molobala0 please star the chromium issue and add a comment - the more people comment the more likely they are to get a fix in place I would think

1 Like

While the chrome folks work on getting this address, if you’re in the small percentage that is affected by this, consider revising your UI for the time being.

It can at least make your app functional while chrome works on a fix.

Also be patient with them. A browser is a complex codebase and changes take a bit to get in. Know they are working things, even if they’re being quiet.

Thanks Mike - I looked at doing some sort of short term fix but it became quite difficult to work out the best solution (considering this is a small percentage of users). Hopefully we will hear some news soon of a fix.

Thought I was going crazy, my app was working well on all my test devices, and then one suddenly started tweaking out with rendering issues. Realised it must have been a Chromium issue when the debug screen via ADB was rendering fine in Chrome, yet the screen was flickering and overlaying some images on the attached device.

I also narrowed it down to Android 8.1, but only on my one tablet that has a PowerVR Rogue GE8100 GPU … I have another Android 8.1 tablet with a Mali-T820 GPU which is fine.

I have had to make some odd hacks to get it to work. One page involved changing an ionic icon of play-sharp, to just play. Another page had an ion-list starting part of the way down the screen (there was an ion-row above the list). When the list did not have enough items to fill the entire screen, the screen would flicker. If I removed the ion-row above the list, it was ok. Because I wanted the ion-row above the list, I ended up have to add blank ion-items to fill the list to the bottom of the screen, then the flickering would go away.

Thanks Richard for raising this with the Chromium, team.
Shaun

1 Like

We are facing the same issue with a client using Sony Xperia L3, Android 8.1.
What I found as a quick workaround was to downgrade @ionic-angular from 5.6.11 to 5.4.1. I tried 5.4.2+ but the issue started to arise.
Could this info be of any help to the solution of the issue?

I see the chromium issue has been marked as fixed. [1222095 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail]

It is definitely still broken on version 94.0.4606.85 which is the latest webview version.

I see they recommend something about using Canary build, 96.0.4659.2, but this is only for Android version 10 and up where the issue seems to me specific to Android 8.1

Does anyone have a better Idea of what is going on here?

Are you sure that build is only for Android 10 and up? The last comment on the Chromium site implies that the problematic devices (which are all on 8.1) now have no problems with that build?

Maybe you should ask the question over there?

This implies it is Android 5+ doesn’t it?

We did test the canary build 96.0.4659.2 and can confirm it resolves our issues. I miss understood what the canary build is, at the time I only found an apk to download for Android 10. Excited for the stable build.

1 Like