Strange Android icon at startup

I’m having an intermittent problem with my Ionic 6/capacitor app on Android that I can’t quite track down. I’m hoping someone else had seen this issue and has a suggestion. Occasionally, when I start the app, I get a white page with a strange Android-like icon and then nothing else happens.

Here’s some relevant info about my app setup

Ionic:
   Ionic CLI                     : 6.20.8 (/Users/abc/.nvm/versions/node/v16.14.2/lib/node_modules/@ionic/cli)
   Ionic Framework               : @ionic/angular 6.5.3
   @angular-devkit/build-angular : 13.2.6
   @angular-devkit/schematics    : 14.2.9
   @angular/cli                  : 14.2.9
   @ionic/angular-toolkit        : 7.0.0

Capacitor:
   Capacitor CLI      : 4.6.3
   @capacitor/android : 4.6.3
   @capacitor/core    : 4.6.3
   @capacitor/ios     : 4.6.3

I have the following Capacitor plugins installed

@capacitor-community/barcode-scanner@3.0.0
       @capacitor/app@4.1.1
       @capacitor/app-launcher@4.1.0
       @capacitor/device@4.1.0
       @capacitor/dialog@4.1.0
       @capacitor/filesystem@4.1.4
       @capacitor/geolocation@4.1.0
       @capacitor/haptics@4.1.0
       @capacitor/keyboard@4.1.1
       @capacitor/network@4.1.0
       @capacitor/preferences@4.0.2
       @capacitor/splash-screen@4.1.4
       @capacitor/toast@4.1.0

I’m not sure if this is an Android issue, Ionic issue, or Capacitor plugin issue. I’m assuming that it’s a startup problem, but not sure what might be failing. I have only seen this previously during development when trying to start the app from Android Studio and the device screen was off, but now a user has reported this issue from the production app. Has anyone seen this type of issue before?

You need to generate new assets: GitHub - ionic-team/capacitor-assets: Local Capacitor icon/splash screen resource generation tool

Thanks for the reply, but I’m curious how this will solve my issue? As I wrote, this is an intermittent issue and does not occur often. The app works as it should 95% of the time

It will solve it by replacing any remnants of the old files still laying around.

Why would this be only an intermittent problem using the exact same files every time the app is started?

I think this is an Android bug on the splash screen animation.

You can try disabling the animation setting the launchFadeOutDuration to 0 in capacitor config file

The setting was implemented in 4.2.0 of splash-screen plugin, so you’ll need to update the plugin first since you are in 4.1.4

Thanks! I’ll take a look at this. That change to the plugin seems to be related to Android 12 but I’m seeing this issue even on older devices like Android 6. I’ll upgrade and see if it makes a difference

Hi Ken, did you solve this issue? I’m also facing this behaviour on some Android 6 devices without a successful solution. I will appreciate any clue that might lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

Unfortunately, not. I tried the plugin update which didn’t help at all. I never found out what was actually causing the issue. You might want to verify that you are using the very latest available version of System Webview. Check your installed Android apps, It should be in that list