WKWebView terribly slows down performance on iPhone 6 Plus

Hello,

I am developing an app using ionic 3. The problem I have is with the WKWebview plugin.
This is the command that I use for installing the plugin:

ionic cordova plugin add cordova-plugin-ionic-webview --save

Apparently, this plugin is improving the performance significantly on iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6s (the only devices that I could test above iPhone 6 Plus). However, it’s actually degrading the performance on iPhone 6 Plus and probably older iPhones as well. It makes the transitions very choppy and laggy.

Please note that the issue is not that the performance is bad on iPhone 6 Plus running WKWebView, but it’s about 2 times worse than how the app performs normally on an iPhone 6 Plus.

When I remove the plugin and run the app again on iPhone 6 Plus, it performs normally, but then there is the bad javascript scrolling that takes away the native feeling from the app. I have been struggling with this issue for the past two months. I have a launch coming up in a week. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.

I too am facing this issue. Initially I thought it was ios 11 having a really tough impact on the 6 plus. I’ve added timing functions in my app just to compare, and there are transitions that are excruciatingly slow on the 6 plus compared to the 6s.

For instance, I have a view that plays a video, and another view that has the native google maps plugin. I tap on a button in the video view to go to the map view, which renders the map, and then some markers on top of it. On the 6plus this takes anywhere between 6 and 10 seconds, while on the 6s it only takes 1.5 second.

It’s also very unresponsive on the 6 plus, as from the moment I tap the button until the transition starts, it takes 2 to 3 seconds.

I haven’t tried it on a non-plus version of the 6, so I’m not sure if it’s specific to the plus or the 6 and below in general.

-> This plugin only supports iOS 9 and above and will fall back to UIWebView on iOS 8.

@sahajarora1286 Which version of iOS are you running on the iPhone 6 Plus?

-> but then there is the bad javascript scrolling that takes away the native feeling from the app.

See:

I’ve tested it on iOS 10 and iOS 11 @robinyo.

Thank you for your response.

Are you using VirtualScroll: https://ionicframework.com/docs/api/components/virtual-scroll/VirtualScroll/

Yes I am using VirtualScroll.

Have you had a look at the Virtual Scroll Performance Tips?

Yes i have tried them all.