Web version in ionic 2

Hi Guys

just a dummy question can we build a web version in ionic in a meaning if i build my app for android and ios and want to create a one that my customer can access to it from a browser it is possible or not ?

Thank you in advance

Hi @Gatewayapp

Ionic is focused on building native/hybrid mobile apps rather than mobile websites,because ionic is more geared to used as a cordova app rather than a mobile web app,so It wouldn’t work

Regards :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be possible (haven’t tested it myself) but AFAIK it’s not officially supported.

However in one of the recent blog posts there are a lot of hints that the support for mobile web apps is currently in the works:

As we start to add more PWA support to Ionic, you can expect an App Shell approach to come out-of-the-box for all Ionic apps that are deployed as mobile web apps, with pre-made Service Worker recipes for caching, offline support, and background content refreshing.

At Ionic, we believe the web is the future of apps: It runs everywhere, it’s the most widely known technology stack, and it powers a rapidly increasing number of apps. Today, web technologies are used by millions of app store apps, but so far, the mobile web has been a stripped-down experience driving people to the app store for the Real Thing. Progressive Web Apps change that.

In the coming months, we will be releasing new features for Ionic apps that enable developers to get the best of both worlds: cross-platform app store deployment on iOS, Android, and Windows, along with deployment to the mobile web as a Progressive Web App with the same code. Soon, Ionic developers will be able to benefit both from native app store distribution, and immediate access to the billions of mobile web and Google search users. No more clunky app store interstitials, and no more building separate native and mobile web apps. Stay tuned!

And if you follow maxlynch on Twitter you’ll see a lot of tweets about mobile web and PWA.

1 Like

Its very possible with ionic 1, so I’m pretty sure the same principle would apply to ionic 2.
I have an ionic app that some folks are hosting through a browser for remote users. Given that cookies and localStorage data are stored inside each browser, this effectively turns out to be a separate instance for every remote user.
https://www.freesoftwareservers.com/index.php/2015/12/09/install-zmninja-inside-browser-zoneminder-webui/

1 Like

Thank you guys @amanyrh @iignatov @pliablepixels for your kindest reply it was somehow helpful :relaxed: