Unable to execute ionic start for Vue beta

I am trying to dive into using Vue with Ionic and I have run

$ npm i -g @ionic/cli@testing #6.11.8-testing.0

and

$ ionic start test-project blank --type vue --tag vue-beta

but it throws the following error:

[ERROR] vue is not a valid project type.

Please choose a different --type. Use ionic start --list to list all
        available starter templates.

i could not find any existing issues on github, just wondering if anyone else is facing this problem or not
any insights on this?

No need for the tags…people will see your post…

I just tested this locally with

npm i -g @ionic/cli@testing

Then running

ionic start  --tag vue-beta

Manually running through things shows that it’s working.

Can you run this again with the --verbose flag and paste the output?

I had saw that method as well but it seems to bypass the framework selection altogether:
rsz_screenshot_from_2020-09-24_17-38-25

even with updating to the testing branch, the verbose flag it still says cli v5.2.7

ionic:bootstrap local CLI 5.2.7 found at /~/node_modules/ionic/package.json +0ms
  ionic:lib Terminal info: { ci: false, shell: '/bin/bash', tty: true, windows: false } +0ms
  ionic:lib CLI global options: { _: [ 'start' ], help: null, h: null, verbose: true, quiet: null, interactive: true, color: true, confirm: null, json: null, tag: 'vue-beta', project: null, '--': [] } +2ms
  ionic Context: { binPath: '~/node_modules/ionic/bin/ionic', libPath: '~/node_modules/ionic', execPath: '~/Desktop/vue', version: '5.2.7' } +0ms

look like there was weirdly a node_modules folder from an outdated version in my ~/ folder that was overriding my global ionic install somehow

It works now!

1 Like

@jjdev What did you do to resolve? Which folder was it? having the same issue. Cheers

@Jordz12 first off, I’m working on linux, if that makes a difference.
in my home directory, at some point since I have had this laptop, I must have incorrectly entered an ionic start command before changing to my project directory.
So in my home directory, I found there was antiquated node_modules folder that was overriding my globally installed packages (ionic, ng, cordova, etc) with it’s version of the ionic CLI, instead of the testing version I globally installed.
So my issues were resolved after deleting that node_modules folder