Unable to build for iOS using xcode 8.3 - 'unable to find utility PackageApplication'

After upgrading to xcode 8.3 I encounter this error trying to build for iOS:

xcrun: error: unable to find utility “PackageApplication”, not a developer tool or in PATH

Error: Error code 72 for command: xcrun with args: -sdk,iphoneos,PackageApplication,-v,/Users/brett/Dec/myapp/platforms/ios/build/device/MyApp.app,-o,/Users/brett/Dev/myapp/platforms/ios/build/device/MyApp.ipa

This was deprecated in 8.3, I’m unsure if this a Cordova issue as it appears modifications to /platforms/ios/cordova/lib/build.js would be required to fix this - I’m not certain if this is an Ionic wrapper for Cordova?

In either case my current workaround is to downgrade xcode, but this isn’t ideal…

2 Likes

Hi,
i have the same prblm too :confused:
does someone have the same bug ?

I downgraded to xcode 8.2.1 and this fixed the issue and allowed me to deploy to iOS. A fix will need to be implemented to allow xcode 8.3.

This happens if you use ionic build ios --device … it’s the device flag that needs the packageApplication, but which is not available in 8.3.

I got around the problem without downgrading XCode, as follows:

• Load your project into XCode 8.3 by clicking your .xcodeproj file (in platforms/ios/build) and choose Product > Archive.
  • Select the archive in the next screen and click ‘Export’ button.
  • Choose ‘Save for Ad Hoc Deployment’ and you’ll get an .IPA file, just as if you had used ionic build ios --device.

The canonical solution to this is to upgrade cordova-ios.