Tutorial in documentation for version 4 doesn't work

Hello, all. I’m trying Ionic for the first time and am about to give up. I’ve been working through the tutorial in the documentation https://beta.ionicframework.com/docs/developer-resources/guides/first-app-v4/ios-android-camera and it doesn’t work. The camera functionality of it, to be specific.

So first, this line: ```
npm install --save @ionic-native/camera@beta

Seemed to have a circular dependency of some sort. I managed to re-install everythign with npm install npm -g

Then the next line: ```
ionic cordova plugin add cordova-plugin-camera

Didn’t work, because I had cordova 5.5 installed (or it was installed with ionic version 4), and it needed cordova 6. Lower versions of cordova 6 couldn’t find some method, so I finally installed a later version of cordova 6 that installed with no error messages. I was able to add the cordova-plugin-camera.

But now the project doesn’t compile. New error:
"
[cordova] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
[cordova]
[cordova] * Where:
[cordova] Build file ‘C:\Development\TerrestrialOrigin\IonicTutorial\PhotoGallery\platforms\android\build.gradle’ line:
[cordova]
[cordova] * What went wrong:
[cordova] A problem occurred evaluating root project ‘android’.
[cordova] > Could not get unknown property ‘ANDROID_SUPPORT_ANNOTATIONS_VERSION’ for object of type org.gradle.api.inte
rnal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.
"
Really don’t know what to do at this point? Should I try Ionic 3 or does it have just as many problems?

Working with Ionic 3 I didn’t have any compilation issue. One little trick that helped me a lot when a build failed :

cordova clean android

And then only

ionic cordova build android

Try your hands on Ionic v3 ! It’s pretty cool.