SuperSonic by AppGyver - new Ionic fork. Improved performances, easy data access, emulators, etc

Hey guys, AppGyver developer pitching in! Great to hear feedback, and as Max said, competition is good – although I don’t believe it’s a 100% one-wins-the-other-loses game here. :slight_smile:

I agree that our “Ionic fork” message is not as clear as it could be – so to clear things up, we’re leveraging Ionic’s great CSS defaults, but doing navigation, tabs, side menus, header bars etc. via native UI. (Android now also has native drawer, so we’re not bridging that gap with Ionic.) So, the AngularJS directives, navigation, <ion-view> etc. are not part of Supersonic.

As for the reasons behind our design – the native UI performance is just so much better, especially on lower-end Android devices. It’s also a very fundamental shift in app making philosophy – do you create a “multi-page app” (which is how native mobile apps are structured) or run an SPA inside a single WebView (which is how modern web apps are structured)? Our bet is on the multi-page app structure, but we’ll see how things pan out.

To address some of the questions and concerns:

Local build support is coming up next year, but in the meantime, you can rest assured that we won’t do anything crazy with your code in our cloud build service. That would be just shooting ourselves in the leg. Essentially, we offer PhoneGap Build for free with support for any custom plugin, instead of just the whitelisted ones. This means you can also use ngCordova with Supersonic. :slight_smile:

Great native lists are something that we’ll hopefully tackle soon also.

As for the Ionic fork being outdated – we’ll definitely catch up with the upstream ASAP. Since the fork only consists of the CSS parts, the changes we’re missing are not major, but that’s making excuses. Thanks for calling us out on that!

Re: @warish’s comment, Ionic has plenty of open bugs in their issue tracker also, but I feel that’s primarily a sign of a vibrant community – neither Supersonic/Steroids or Ionic is a completely finalized product by any means, so bugs are bound to exist. The fact that people are finding them and reporting them is a good thing, as it gives the developers a better ability to focus on fixing the issues that matter to the actual users.

Open vs. closed source is at least in part a philosophical debate – there’s always going to be people who will prefer open source solutions over proprietary ones, and there’s valid reasons for that. However, only the native runtime and Build Service are closed source; Steroids CLI and the Supersonic library (among other components) are open source on GitHub. Native functionalities can also be expanded on via custom Cordova plugins. And for what it’s worth, we do have solid funding and a strong team – we’re not going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Finally, I just posted about our support for Ionic projects with Steroids Tooling – please check that out and give feedback!

I’m happy to answer any other questions about Supersonic/Steroids, so fire away!

Best,
Harri Sarsa
Head of Developer Relations
AppGyver, Inc.

1 Like

Harri, thanks for explanation. I do not understand though, why Supersonic is positioned as a competition to Ionic (see http://www.appgyver.com/supersonic/comparison)?

Does that means automatic integration with crosswalk ? :wink:
( Just added it on my app for older devices and it does help a LOT )

Crosswalk is better choice if you work on WebGL.

Same problem for me !
I am waiting for the stable release !
I just can’t wait please when does it comes !!?

Hey, sorry for taking a while to respond! The comparison is to show what we offer on top of vanilla Ionic, not to pit Supersonic and Ionic against each other as completely mutually exhaustive options – although e.g. Ionic’s AngularJS router -based navigation is quite different from our MPA approach, so there’s some choices that lock other options out. So if you go all-in with Ionic JS, you won’t be able to leverage many of Supersonic’s features, and visa versa.

i do not know many things about appgyver, but what i miss is long list handling like ionics infinite scroll / pull to refresh and collection repeat out of the box.

Maybe there is something like this in appgyvers steroids?

Would be very frustrating if i run in the some performance laggs despite of having a “native”-base.

Greets, bengtler

http://bahmutov.calepin.co/improving-angular-web-app-performance-example.html

Long/infinite lists are something that we’ve toyed around with, but it’s a difficult problem to solve – a native layer solution is the only one guaranteed to be blazing fast, but that involves creating a native list view with n number of WebViews + passing data from a main WebView to each of the views in the list + handling tap events etc. It’s on the backlog though.

Inside the WebView though, collection repeat can be done with AngularJS and ng-repeat (or any other framework). Native pull-to-refresh and a JS solution for infinite lists are similarly on the backlog (we haven’t yet looked fully into if Ionic’s JS solutions could be decoupled from the JS-based scrolling).

1 Like