[question] Is the initial Appflow live Update a patch or full bundle?

I’m developing an ionic 5 Angular app called boost and i’m currently using Microsoft Appcenter CodePush for hot code pushes / live updates which is suboptimal. I want to switch to Ionic Appflow but have one question which i can’t find any resources for:

When i publish a new Appflow version for live updating my app, is the update size my complete app bundle or a patch/diff containing only the changed files?

Background:
I’m unhappy with MS CodePush because the first update i introduce there is always 100% of my bundle (including all assets). This is a major bummer since i can’t update small js/ts files without forcing my userbase to download the entire app in the background during a time where they don’t expect large downloads to happen. (mobile dataplan issues etc.)

And i would much rather support the ionic project with my subscription fees when my app gets larger than MS… so i’d love to make the switch :wink:

Cheers and thanks for the great framework

Hi,

If the original native app has a deploy manifest file( pro-manifest.json ) inside the built web directory ( www ), when an update is available, the manifest file is compared to the manifest included in the update and downloads only the files that changed.

You can refer to our related docs here: Differentials.

If you have any further questions, I would encourage you to contact the Appflow support for further assistance.

Thanks,

That is great news, thank you!

1 Like