Open ion-popover from component

I’d like to open an ion-popover from my ionic page component to create a “tutorial-like” flow where when a user enters a page for the first time, a series of popovers appears showing them where key actions can be taken.

I’ve tried all sorts of things but nothing works. Tried:

1. Using @ViewChild to capture the DOM element that I want the popover to open from but the Popover API doesnt want the element ref, it wants a DOM PointerEvent so…
  2. I tried generating a PointerEvent based on the ViewChild element but that doesnt work (and isnt intended to be used that way).

From my understanding, the popover element wants the x and y coordinates of the DOM element from the pointer event so that it know where to position the popover.

I tried hardcoding some x,y coords but this completely breaks in any form of responsive/cross platform design so that’s out.

async presentPopover(ev: any) {
    const popover = await this.popoverController.create({
      component: PopoverComponent,
      cssClass: 'my-custom-class',
      event: ev,    // WHAT CAN I GENERATE IN MY COMPONENT AND PASS HERE INSTEAD OF THE CLICK EVENT?
      translucent: true
    });
    await popover.present();

const { role } = await popover.onDidDismiss();
    console.log('onDidDismiss resolved with role', role);
  }

Nice idea

I would still go for trying to get x y of dom element using javascript

Maybe sonething like this javascript - Retrieve the position (X,Y) of an HTML element - Stack Overflow