New Mac building Ionic-V3 application

I am trying to build an old Ionic-V3 application on a fresh Mac that are used to build Ionic-V4 applications.

Cloning the app was ok, but when running npm install I got a lot of errors from node-gyp and a search on google seems to indicate that the problem is my node version

Ionic:

Ionic CLI : 6.0.1 (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@ionic/cli)
Ionic Framework : ionic-angular 3.9.8
@ionic/app-scripts : 3.2.4

Cordova:

Cordova CLI : 9.0.0 (cordova-lib@9.0.1)
Cordova Platforms : android, browser 5.0.4, ios 4.5.5
Cordova Plugins : no whitelisted plugins (0 plugins total)

Utility:

cordova-res : 0.9.0
native-run : 0.3.0

System:

ios-deploy : 1.10.0
NodeJS : v12.15.0 (/usr/local/bin/node)
npm : 6.13.4
Xcode : Xcode 10.1 Build version 10B61

but is it at all possible to build a V3-application using the latest tools?

How exactly did you do this? If the answer doesn’t involve some sort of version control, then stop here, go back, involve some sort of version control in that process, and then see what the situation is.

I’m not trying to be flippant here, but literally the point of error messages is the message itself. Aggregating things into “a lot of errors” really dilutes their value. Posting two or three representative actual messages (AS TEXT, NOT IMAGES) would be much more useful to anybody trying to help you.

If you’re going to draw a conclusion like that, it is absolutely crucial to note the context (including time created) surrounding those search results. In your case here, I suspect they tend to involve people using Node versions beyond LTS. You are on LTS, so I would not jump to blame your Node version.

While you are hunting down those error messages, be on the lookout for suggestions you might see involving node-sass. I have a hunch that’ll be a more productive angle of inquiry than node versions.

Good luck.

Thank you for input, and you are of course right that I could explain better, but at first I was just looking for an answer for the question:

Should I be able to build my Ionic-V3 application with Ionic-CLI 6.0.1 and NodeJS v12.15

If yes I will go hunt for all the fixes and upgrades needed, if no I will have to find a solution with multiple version of NodeJS on the same computer (As suggested in the Ionic documentation)

My repository are on github, so thats where i cloned it from, and I have done that before with success, so I assume I have all the right dependencies committed

Running

npm i

gave many pages of warnings and errors, and it was hard to find the actual reason for the error.

But you are right the problem is not npm (and I am on LTS) but probably something else that needs to be upgraded, and while searching I remember seeing node-sass as a possible issue, but also the compiler for node-gyp could be an issue.

For now I will pursue the task of building the app with the latest CLI’s

Thorvald

AFAIK, the answer to that is “yes”.

Great - I will post my progress then :slight_smile:

Thorvald

Looking at the log this seems to be the first interesting issue

grpc@1.20.0 install <user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build --library=static_library

node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download 
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(404): https://node-precompiled-binaries.grpc.io/grpc/v1.20.0/node-v72-darwin-x64-unknown.tar.gz 
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for grpc@1.20.0 and node@12.15.0 (node-v72 ABI, unknown) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp) 

and then it downloads a lot of files to compile and build and gives compile errors and this resulting output

6 errors generated.
make: *** [Release/obj.target/grpc_node/ext/byte_buffer.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:223:5)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:272:12)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 17.7.0
gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "build" "--fallback-to-build" "--library=static_library" "--module=/<user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v72-darwin-x64-unknown/grpc_node.node" "--module_name=grpc_node" "--module_path=/<user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v72-darwin-x64-unknown" "--napi_version=5" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=0" "--node_napi_label=node-v72"
gyp ERR! cwd /<user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc
gyp ERR! node -v v12.15.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.5
gyp ERR! not ok 
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error 
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute '/usr/local/bin/node /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --library=static_library --module=/<user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v72-darwin-x64-unknown/grpc_node.node --module_name=grpc_node --module_path=<user>Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/src/node/extension_binary/node-v72-darwin-x64-unknown --napi_version=5 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v72' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/<user>/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:223:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:283:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Darwin 17.7.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "/usr/local/bin/node" "/Users/thorvaldaagaard/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build" "--library=static_library"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /Users/thorvaldaagaard/Documents/Geme.io/node_modules/grpc
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v12.15.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.12.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok 

And I have installed node-gyp 6.1.0 and also node-pre-gyp version 0.14.0 but it still picks up the old versions

Besides that I have updated note-sass to version 4.13.1 and fsevents to 1.2.9

Trying to install the grpc version using

npm i grpc@1.20.0

gives the same bunch of errors so there is my problem, but how to fix it?

I was able to install latest graph version using

npm install grpc --build-from-source

But during

npm i

it was still version 1.20.0 being requested

and trying

npm install grpc@1.20.0 --build-from-source

did not help me

In order to eliminate peculiarities of your environment, I would suggest installing nvm, uninstalling all node stuff you currently have if it’s still being picked up on your PATH (shouldn’t be necessary, but just in case…).

Did you find a solution for that?

Yes, but it is so long ago :slight_smile:

It was probably selecting the right version

(Attachment developer.vcf is missing)