Ionic UI Components vs native tags

General question regarding the use of the UI Components vs native HTML tags. Ionic is new to our developer team and we are trying to use the ionic ui components, though as more code is written there are cases where developers are falling back to their already known native tags to structure the components.

I’m trying to understand if using native html tags instead of the ionic ui components will cause issues later on when the application is built into both a standalone runnable and a mobile app. Or if the ui components are mainly there as premade components you can use instead of writing your own, and opting not to use them would not cause any issues.

You can use whatever you want. Ionic Components are build to support you in your Development with a native look and feel. Theyd Components are maintained to always look like the current platform standart, this means that some components looks platform specific, so look different on android and ios. I would always recommend to use these Conponents.

Cool. So if we opted to not use the ionic components, the application should generally speaking be expected to work once it is built into the android/ios version of an app? With the assumption that it may look differently on the different OS. I guess I’m wanting to make sure that there isn’t anything special with the ionic tags that would be lost with the conversion to a mobile app, if we did not use them.

Is there any good reason to not use the Ionic Components? Why are you using the Ionic Framework then?

I’m not saying we are not going to use them. I’m simply trying to understand if there is anything they are doing for us, with regards to building out a mobile app, that I am not aware of, which we would lose by not using them. I’m wanting to avoid the potiential case that we have mixed usage and later when we build for mobile that some things don’t work. If such is the case, then I get to start harping on the rest of our guys to pay more attention to using the components and I have to start trolling the code and making sure we are using them religiously.

This might just be me, but I feel like this convo would bear more fruit if there was a concrete example or two of what exactly the non-Ionic options look like.

For example, I am not a huge fan of Ionic’s grid. I therefore use CSS Grid in Ionic apps. I have not encountered any problems doing that. I also prefer Font Awesome to Ionicons. Again, no problem. However, when I was starting out with Ionic, I was more familiar with SemanticUI and Bootstrap for CSS. A combination of my own experience and watching other posters here convinced me pretty solidly that trying to mix Ionic with other theming frameworks is (or at least was) a recipe for infighting and disaster.

1 Like