Ionic splash screen hides without fading; FadeSplashScreen not having any effect

(fuller writeup with code at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30515770/ionic-splash-screen-hides-without-fading )

Working on my first Ionic project.

I’m not having any problems with the splash screen – I’m able to use the CordovaSplashscreen plugin and tell it to hide() when the relevant promises resolve; I’m also able to comment out that hide’ing and just instead rely on AutoHideSplashScreen being true in config.xml, and let the splash screen auto hide after SplashScreenDelay.

(I list these things that do work so it’s clear that my problem is not a duplicate of the dozens of Ionic and Cordova/PhoneGap-related splash screen questions.)

My problem is that no matter what I try – ios, android, emulator, real device, using CordovaSplashscreen to hide() or not, AutoHideSplashScreen set to true, AutoHideSplashScreen set to false, etc. – I can’t get the splash screen to fade when it disappears.

FadeSplashScreen seems not to have any effect no matter what combination of config.xml settings, splash screen hide() calling or not calling, emulation or device, ios or android I use.

My current config.xml settings, though this doesn’t give a full portrait of the dozen or so permutations of these values I’ve tried:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<widget id="com.ionicframework.yourkids381244" version="0.0.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" xmlns:cdv="http://cordova.apache.org/ns/1.0">
... other code at same level of hierarchy omitted ... 
  <preference name="SplashScreen" value="screen"/>
  <preference name="AutoHideSplashScreen" value="false"/>
  <preference name="auto-hide-splash-screen" value="false"/>
  <preference name="ShowSplashScreenSpinner" value="false"/>
  <preference name="SplashScreenDelay" value="10000"/>
  <preference name="FadeSplashScreen" value="true"/>
  <preference name="FadeSplashScreenDuration" value="3.0"/>
... other code at same level of hierarchy omitted ... 
</widget>

Same problem, it was working dough, but today I upgrade to ionic CLI 1.5 and stop working

Having the same problems as well :frowning:

Same problem here with CLI 1.5.0 and uranium unicorn

Also having the same problem. Thanks for the thorough writeup @benjiwheeler - hopefully someone sees this that can help us!

Same problem here too, CLI 1.5.0 and uranium unicorn…@mhartington any ideas ?

Do you have the cordova-splash screen plugin installed? Ionic isn’t changing how the splashscreen works, that’s all being controlled by cordova.

I’ve tried it both with and without the cordova-splash screen plugin installed.

It seems like the most important question is, is there anyone out there who is able to make the splash screen fade using Ionic? @mhartington, are you able to?

It might be a matter of changing aspects of the Ionic-Cordova relationship, the cordova-splash API, the Cordova API, or something else… perhaps Ionic isn’t changing how the splashscreen works, but the way the splashscreen works changed and Ionic didn’t change! :slight_smile:

Well Ionic is just the UI, it doesn’t touch how cordova handles the splash screen, so no Ionic wouldn’t need to do anything.

Seem that I am not able to get a fade even using vanilla cordova project. Let me talk with some of the cordova folks and see whats up.

How is it going the business with the cordova folks? XDD

Thanks for the reminder!
So I talked with them and this seems to be an issue.
There should be an open ticket for this on the cordova issue tracker.

Thanks a lot! I hope they fix it soon.

You can fix the ios part by removing the “dispatch_async(dispatch_get_main_queue(), ^{ …” on the end of CDVSplashScreen.m. They should not use the dispatch_async in the animation block.

This is a problem with me too. Currently testing in android, the splash screen hides early (and shows a flash of white screen) without any splashscreen code in my app.js, even for arbitrarily high splash screen delay values

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-8875

Any updates about this? I’m having the same issue… i tried a lot of things and still there is white screen that shows between the splash screen and the app home screen… my application has black backgrounds and the splash screen is also black but no matter what i try there is always a white screen that shows even just for half a sec.

I hope we have a fix for this :frowning:

some people still have problem with this… those can try the below…

<preference name="FadeSplashScreenDuration" value="3000"/>