[Ionic - React] Filesystem.writefile gives no errors but is not working

Hi, I’m buildig an app with Ionic and React. I’ve been stuck for a couple of days now on creating a simple text file. This is the code that I currently have:

setLoading(true);

try {
      const test = await Filesystem.writeFile({
        path: 'Download/text.txt',
        data: 'This is a test',
        directory: Directory.External,
        encoding: Encoding.UTF8,
        recursive: true,
      });
      console.log(test);
    } catch (e) {
      console.error(e);
    }

setLoading(false);

The loading screen will appear very briefly (I think about 0.2 sec) and then it will finish without any errors. The test variable logs the following: {uri: "/EXTERNAL/Download/text.txt"} but the file does not show up anywhere in the device storage. I’ve tested it in the browser, on an android emulator and on a physical android phone and none worked.

I added the following to my AndroidManifest.xml:
in the application tag:

android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true"

Permissions part:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>
    <uses-permission
      android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"
      android:maxSdkVersion="28"
    />

I use the following packages which might be relevant:

"@capacitor/android": "^3.4.3",
    "@capacitor/core": "^3.4.3",
    "@capacitor/filesystem": "^1.1.0",
    "@ionic/core": "latest",
    "@ionic/react": "^5.0.7",
    "@ionic-native/android-permissions": "^5.36.0",
    "@ionic-native/core": "^5.36.0",

Any one who can help me out please? :slight_smile:

What version of Android are you testing on?

I’ve tested it on Android 11 and 12

Save it using Directory.Document and in iOS you need to keep key string in info.plist. You are trying to save it in download directory but i think it doesn’t store there because not exist the directory. So first let try to download it it will see you in document folder in android.

try {
      const test = await Filesystem.writeFile({
        path: 'text.txt',
        data: 'This is a test',
        directory: Directory. Documents,
        encoding: Encoding.UTF8
      });
      console.log(test);
    } catch (e) {
      console.error(e);
    }

Or follow this document guide Capacitor filesystem

The File API was changed in Android 10 and further changed in Android 11/12. We are updating the @capacitor/filesystem plugin to work with the newer APIs with Capacitor 4, but at the moment you can only save files to the Documents folder.

This StackOverflow link has a good explanation on the changes made to the permissions and how each API version is affected

Thank you all for your responses, I’ve (finally) got it working now :smiley:! I’m currently saving the file in the documents folder, and I encountered another thing that I had to fix, for people who have the same problem:
In my AndroidManifest.xml, I had the following code for write permissions, which I literally copied and pasted from the internet without too much thought.

This seemed to work, and did not give any errors as far as I could see, but it did not work. It had to be like this:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />