`ionic package build ios` issue: "No applicable devices found"

For my ionic 1 (ng1) build, I am trying to use the ionic build server in the cloud via

ionic package build ios

command

It seems to be building just fine. The code signing process is working! (which seems to be the common issue on the forums).

My error comes right at the end when it is trying to bundle the archive up into the IPA file. I get this message:

** ARCHIVE SUCCEEDED **

2017-07-14 09:28:46.025 xcodebuild[74505:92383972] [MT] IDEDistribution: -[IDEDistributionLogging _createLoggingBundleAtPath:]: Created bundle at path '/var/folders/kc/f8g8tr7n1054j1nzrkkvyzpr0000gq/T/AA_2017-07-14_09-28-46.024.xcdistributionlogs'.
2017-07-14 09:28:55.495 xcodebuild[74505:92383972] [MT] IDEDistribution: Step failed: <IDEDistributionThinningStep: 0x7f8bd3d3d5a0>: Error Domain=IDEDistributionErrorDomain Code=14 "No applicable devices found." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No applicable devices found.}
error: exportArchive: No applicable devices found.

Error Domain=IDEDistributionErrorDomain Code=14 "No applicable devices found." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No applicable devices found.}

** EXPORT FAILED **

Error: Error code 70 for command: xcodebuild with args: -exportArchive,-archivePath,AA.xcarchive,-exportOptionsPlist,/Users/package/workspace/apps-b18a8fc5-25/cordova/platforms/ios/exportOptions.plist,-exportPath,/Users/package/workspace/apps-b18a8fc5-25/cordova/platforms/ios/build/device

I am not familiar with “No applicable devices found.” message. Googling (and searching this forum) for that string doesn’t really seem to bring up anything relevant. All the advice seems to be about tweaking settings in some xcode config files, which, obviously, I can’t do on ionic’s system! :slight_smile:

I am sure there is some configuration step I am missing somewhere. Does anyone know what it may be?

What settings should be tweaked via the stuff you found? What does the error message mean?

Here is one of the answers I found via SO:

You comment out a line in the ipatool script.

FWIW, I think this is a bad idea all around, even if it was on my own computer I wouldn’t necessarily want to do that.

I’m not even sure what “applicable devices” is referring to in this context. Is there somewhere to set if you are targeting a phone or a tablet?

Yeah, that was the direction I was thinking as well. But I have no real idea, sorry.

Maybe start a new project (ionic start blank blank --type=ionic1) and try to build that one via Ionic Package to see if it is a problem with your project or a general thing.