Ionic 4 vs Angular 6 (+Material) - For PWA with emphasis on SSR

Hi,

I have built a PWA (https://alpha3.grassrootsapp.in/) in Ionic 3. I have couple of open issues with URL Routing:

It’s been ages since I am waiting for Ionic 4, with promised fixes for Routing and better PWA support. But we are yet to see Ionic 4 alpha version. And I guess, it will take 2-3 or even more months to see Ionic 4 Stable version.

Also one another new requirement for me now is SSR. I want my whole app to be crawled and get indexed in Google. I understand Stencil supports SSR, but couldn’t find any authentic news on Ionic 4 SSR support.

I am thinking If I should rewrite my App as pure Angular 6 application, so I can get SSR. I guess I need to completely rewrite my templates using Angular material, while retaining the app code that resides in components and providers.

Would like to hear opinions on this.

First, congrats for the PWA :thumbsup:

Funny I just opened a question on the forum about SSR 30min after yours [PWA] Server side rendering

Let’s see if one of these catch the attention

P.S.: I somehow remember that I read that Stencil should allow SSR out of the box but I don’t know the status with ionic-angular

1 Like

+1 congrats for building your first PWA!

I noticed a few items in the Dev Console:

And, the Audits:

Thanks @reedrichards and @robinyo. Yes. The App is not very stable at the moment. There are huge rooms for improvement.

we are all at the same point with pwa :wink:

1 Like

It’s great to find Angular 6 is finally here.

So in Ionic 4, we’re getting all brand new toolsets: Angular 6, Capacitor, Ionic 4, StencilJS.

Angular 7 is coming in this October.

1 Like

“Beginning from the CLI 1.7, you don’t have to worry about upgrading your application. There will be an opportunity to update data dependencies automatically. Moreover, there will be automatic refactoring of the deprecated functionality.”

+1

Also, Angular animations is getting some bug fixes. Angular animations crashes all the time. I was thinking it’s better to deprecate this library and replace it with anime.js…

and I’m curious what this “Angular Elements” will be like:

ANGULAR ELEMENTS
Angular Elements is a project whose goal is to enable compilation of Angular components into Custom Elements. This is one of the long-awaited features that will allow users to write reusable components not only in the Angular ecosystem, but also in projects on React, Vue, Ember, and so on. There are already a bunch of examples where Angular-components are used in React or Preact. But the most important thing is that this has finally become possible.

So now you can use Angular components in React… that’s weird. You can join a React project as an angular developer? sounds pretty cool. and that’s a right direction because the majority of popular projects and job positions are in react.js. Angular 2,4,5 are still less popular than AngularJS. Maybe popularity of Angular w/ TypeScript will finally rise when there’s version 10.

Which version of React? :slight_smile:

• React Native
  • React for IoT
  • React for AR/VR
  • React for obscure computing thing you’ve never heard of

See: Top JavaScript Libraries & Tech to Learn in 2018 | by Eric Elliott | JavaScript Scene | Medium

1 Like

hmm React 16?

and this graph is true. From what I can observe, there are still more AngularJS users. Companies don’t want to upgrade to typescript… they don’t really see that as an upgrade so it could be that we need to wait until Angular 10 or Angular X to see typescript becoming more popular. No companies are using VueJS… maybe one out of a thousands. Only the companies relying on Laravel see it as a bonus skill. and Laravel works fine without Vue.js…

So the market is entirely based on AngularJS and ReactJS. 40% AngularJS, 40%React JS, and other frameworks or no framework take the remaining 20%.

Angular’s answer to webconponents. Like Stencil’s objective but implemented differently

And the Ivy engine is an answer to vue and other lighter frameworks

I am going to stick with Angular

My view for now

1 Like

I hope Ionic 4 will solve those needs.
But while not available, i created a Angular CLI project with Ionic components. Unfortunately it doesn’t have SSR yet. But i believe that looking how it is done in a pure Angular CLI way it could be done the same way in my project.
Anyway, take a look if you want -> https://github.com/jvitor83/angular-pwa-seed

Hi jamesharvey your statistics are very interesting, where did you take it?
Thank you

cld