How much faster is the new ionic going to load?

I’m disappointed with how slow ionic apps load. How much faster will the new ionic apps initially load? I’m debating if it’s worth upgrading my app or abandoning ionic.

What versions exactly would you like to compare?
3.9.2 vs 4
or 2 vs 3.9.2
or 1 vs 3.9.2
or anything else?

for the future, @manucorporat just posted a video yesterday about the boot time of Ionic 4, so this answer is “it might be super fast”

about right now with Ionic 3.9.2, I worked a lot on it, my app is more than 35 pages/60 components and I’m able to boot it in 3.5 sec on an iPhone 6s

@Nexi, The main comparison is the latest (3.9.2) to the yet to be released (4).

Have they done a comparison with the “conference app” and posted the numbers?
Is it 2x faster startup? Is it 20% faster startup? I’d like to see some numbers from different devices. If they have the app built from both Ionic 3 and Ionic 4, they should be able to provide some metrics.

The video is an unofficial sneak peek

I do reckon that somewhere I read that they do will provide metrics, I guess it’s not yet as ready as they want to provide these

The work on v4 is not finished in any way, so publishing numbers now would be a major mistake - as you would never be able to “unpublish” those if after optimizing the numbers are 200% better or something.

From what I have seen: Much faster. Not a bit, but really a lot. On modern devices it “looks” not different from a native app when it starts. Which is quite impressive.

Amazing…

That’s exactly what I was looking for.
I’m really happy that the gray blank screen and white blank screen have finally disappeared.
Also, loading time has significantly reduced… it used to take up to five seconds+ for a really basic app.

and the UI looks a lot more normal and native than v3.
Cordova is definitely becoming more obsolete and outdated.

The UI looks pretty much exactly like v3 - almost no changes.

And of course this would also look and behave in 99% the same way with Cordova. While Capacitor is awesome, it doesn’t really have much influence here.

If possible, please post an android version video for comparison.

the video was an unofficial sneak peek, so I guess in the future we will no more :wink:

but @adambradley posted on his twitter feed a visual comparison of all components last week. look like they improved, at least a bit, everything

it looks the same, just smoother :slight_smile:

http://ionic-snapshot-go.appspot.com/ionic-core/snapshots/v3-master/vzu/chrome_400x800

reference: https://twitter.com/adamdbradley/status/976521019610419200

Native apps in general have sharper feel… and more edge. We need that in Ionic 4.
That’s like a difference between a dynamic website and a static website.
A dynamic website, even a simple wordpress blog, feels different from a statc HTML file with the same content.

Any guide or tips enhancement?
Thanks a lot.

Not sure what you mean - but I think you are saying that Ionic is based on styles which are perhaps 6 years old and have not kept up with the new trends.

I have not read anything about the look and feel of Ionic 4 regarding styles apart from a new ionic design with only loading the icons actually used.

speaking of icon, not sure and don’t take it for granted, but somewhere I remember that they gonna be updated for Ionic 4, specially the iOS one to fit better iOS 11 design

furthermore, only the used icons gonna be effectively included in the bundled apps and not all icons as it is now

Interesting that you would abandon all the work youve put in to learn a framework and architecture for what Id consider the least important of reasons. You want slow fire up AirBnb, and Im going to live with it, no matter the speed. No one cares if a mobile app is slow; its getting people to install your app in the first place, now that is what you want to concentrate on.

@MarkAurit People will not continue to use a slow app. They will just find a faster alternative. The initial startup time is a major usability concern; especially as new users are introduced to your app.

Getting people to install your app initially is completely independent of the framework you are using. That’s a marketing concern.

BTW, React Native starts up pretty fast. Hopefully Ionic 4 will be comparable and hopefully it will launch soon.

This is starting to turn into a xbox - ps, windows - mac debate. Website metrics prove people loose interest within 3.5sec and I dont feel apps are far from it. I do not feel Ionic/Cordova is the problem, devs are.

If you load up 35 pages on any non static Angular website in one go its going to be slow. Lazy load the pages and it will be negligible… lazy load them in Ionic and load times will be ± the same…(one of many optimizations you can do)

Id like to see you cram the amount of stuff you “build” into a native app and it perform better, or even worst attempt to believe one of the other frameworks are less effort or more bang for less code good luck. If you have spent so much time learning all the frameworks and tools involved you should know what I am talking about.

I’m investigating Flutter.io while I’m anxiously awaiting the startup performance comparison between ionic 3 and ionic 4.

The sooner the results are posted, the less time I will devote to investigating alternatives.

Flutter has a lot of things going for it:

• It is developed by Google.
  • It uses native language for Android and IOS
  • Supports Android as low as 4.2
  • It is out in beta now

Ionic really needs to get Ionic 4 out!