First Ionic application

Do I need to know Typescript to develop Ionic applications with AngularJS?

Mmmm, AngularJS normally means Angular 1. If that’s what you’re referring to, then no, it uses JavaScript. For Ionic 2+ (and thus Angular 2+) then yes you will.

Ah, I see. So, it’s driven by Angular and not by the Ionic framework? also, I am very experienced AngularJS developer, buy haven’t done anything with Angular 2+. Does Ionic framework help with a learning curve by providing some abstract concepts and ready to go blocks of code?

You can technically still use AngularJS and ionic 1, which receives small updates to support necessary changes such as the iPhone X.

Most development goes towards Ionic 2+ which relies on Angular 2+, and there are great docs and sample code snippets and entire sample projects on the ionic github! The awesome documentation is one of the best parts of using ionic, in my opinion.

I see, sounds good. I am currently going through this link for installation:
https://ionicframework.com/docs/v1/guide/installation.html
Is that what I need to install to use Ionic 2?

This is what you’re looking for here: https://ionicframework.com/docs/intro/installation/

1 Like

This link is specifically ionic 1, which uses angularJS. The doc from SigmundFroyd is for ionic 2+

For NPM I have installed 9.6.1. But I see I needed to install the other version. Should I uninstall node?

no, when you are in a new ionic project folder, just use npm ionic -g, and it will create all plugins and folders needed.

aka, when i folder /user/newproject/, use this npm command, it will create the ionic files, and the project.

hope this help,

Ok, from the provided documentation link:
To verify you have everything installed correctly, you can run npm --version and node --version.
I am running these commands and that is what I get:

C:\Windows\system32>node --version
v9.6.1

C:\Windows\system32>npm --version
’npm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Am I having installation problems?

Hree is my PATH:
C:\Windows\system32>path
PATH=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;%localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer;C:\Program Files\dotnet;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\WINDOWS\System32\LibreSSL;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH;d:\Program Files\Git\cmd;D:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\130\Tools\Binn;C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;d:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\npm

Installed node.js and installed 8.94. Now I get:
C:\Windows\system32>node -v
’node’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Windows\system32>npm -v
’npm’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,

I love all this unix crap.