First emulator run always fails, second sometimes fails, and then it runs.. maybe

I’m working on a relatively new Ionic Angular project, and as far back as the first run, I’ve had an issue with running on an Android Emulator from the command line.

the specific command I’m using is ionic cordova emulate android --ssl --livereload --external, where:

• I need --ssl because I’m working with Push Notifications.
  • I’ve never managed to get the app to connect to my dev server without --external.

this command is defined in my package.json under scripts as android, allowing me to run it by simply calling npm run android.

on the first run after starting up my machine, sometimes the process will simply stop at the cordova.exe build android --emulator command. no emulator launches and absolutely nothing more is printed to console… I’ve left it for upwards of 30 minutes before, and still nothing.

if the native binary build command does actually run (or if I ctrl+c to kill it), the next run always gets past this point and launches the emulator.

one minor caveat to this: if I run ionic emulate.... with --verbose, then this first step never fails, but that’s the only difference.

on the next run, it will always get through the native binary build and start my emulator, but then when it tries to launch my app in the emulator, I’m greeted with a net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (https://0.0.0.0:8100/) error, and tapping “OK” simply closes the app, leaving me to run the process from the start again.

checking the console output, it almost always states that the ADB server is not responding, moving on to kill and restart it.

on the next run, it will sometimes give me the same net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message, but more often this time does work. recurring issues play out exactly as described in the previous step.

a few notes on my environment:

• Console: PowerShell 7.2.3, accessed through Windows Terminal Preview 1.13.10983.0
  • JDK: zulu@1.8.282, installed and activated through Jabba
  • NodeJS: 14.19.2, installed and activated through Volta

output for ionic info:

Ionic:

Ionic CLI                     : 6.19.0 (C:\Users\agreeff\AppData\Local\Volta\tools\image\packages\@ionic\cli\node_modules\@ionic\cli)
   Ionic Framework               : @ionic/angular 6.1.1
   @angular-devkit/build-angular : 13.3.3
   @angular-devkit/schematics    : 13.3.3
   @angular/cli                  : 13.3.3
   @ionic/angular-toolkit        : 6.1.0

Cordova:

Cordova CLI       : 11.0.0
   Cordova Platforms : android 10.1.2
   Cordova Plugins   : cordova-plugin-ionic-keyboard 2.2.0, cordova-plugin-ionic-webview 5.0.0, cordova-plugin-ionic 5.5.2, (and 4 other plugins)

Utility:

cordova-res : 0.15.4
   native-run  : 1.5.0

System:

Android SDK Tools : 26.1.1 (C:\android-sdk)
   NodeJS            : v14.19.2 (C:\Users\agreeff\AppData\Local\Volta\tools\image\node\14.19.2\node.exe)
   npm               : 6.14.17
   OS                : Windows 10

NOTE: I had to run volta run --node 14.19.2 ionic info to get this output. for some unknown reason, Volta keeps running this in 14.19.1, even though the project is pinned to 14.19.2.

I also just tried volta run --node 14.19.2 ionic doctor check, and that tells me to uninstall @ionic/cli from the local project… but it’s not installed locally.

completely random thought, but could this just be Volta messing with things that Ionic CLI doesn’t expect? I work on many different Node projects, some of which require specific runtime versions (similar case for Java, hence my usage of Jabba as well).

just for a little verification, I restarted my PC and caught a few screenshots showing the issue I’m experiencing.

in this first shot, you can see the web build command (aka: ng.exe run app:ionic-cordova-serve --host=0.0.0.0 --port=8100 --ssl --platform=android) completed at 2022-05-11T12:58:18.883Z. since I’m in GMT+2, this was 14:58 local time. more than 40 minutes later, all processes were still sitting at 0% CPU usage and no emulator has opened.

then I killed the process and ran it again, and in this shot you can see the emulator launched, and (as I’ve come to expect) the ADB server needed to be killed and restarted, and then I get the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED ERROR.

then we do it all one more time with feeling, ADB server does not need to be restarted, and everything works…

this has literally been my daily routine for about 3 weeks now… I’m getting FU%?$%^(&**&%$ing tired of it. please can somebody help me out here? what on earth is going wrong here?