Errors during "ios-deploy" installation

I’m new to Ionic. When I followed the starter instructions to install node.js, ionic, and cordova, and then did “ionic start cutePuppyPics --v2”, the following message was presented:

*** Dependency warning - for the CLI to run correctly, it is highly recommended to install/upgrade the following:
Please install your Cordova CLI to version >=4.2.0 npm install -g cordova
Install ios-sim to deploy iOS applications.npm install -g ios-sim (may require sudo)
Install ios-deploy to deploy iOS applications to devices. npm install -g ios-deploy (may require sudo) ***

The ‘npm install -g ios-sim’ worked, but when I typed ‘npm install -g ios-deploy’, several errors were presented (see below). Can anyone explain the problem and what I need to do to get the installation to complete? Xcode 8.1 is installed.

npm WARN lifecycle ios-deploy@1.9.0~preinstall: cannot run in wd %s %s (wd=%s) ios-deploy@1.9.0 ./src/scripts/check_reqs.js && xcodebuild /usr/local/lib/node_modules/.staging/ios-deploy-298c9491
npm ERR! Darwin 16.0.0
npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” “install” “-g” "ios-deploy"
npm ERR! node v6.9.1
npm ERR! npm v3.10.8
npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ios-deploy/build/Release/ios-deploy
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! errno -2
npm ERR! syscall chmod

npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, chmod '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ios-deploy/build/Release/ios-deploy’
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, chmod '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ios-deploy/build/Release/ios-deploy’
npm ERR! enoent This is most likely not a problem with npm itself
npm ERR! enoent and is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent

I am having the same problem today with Ionic V3 although I use sudo before npm to install ios-deploy. Any solutions?