Does setInterval affect IONIC performance

When the platform is ready, in app.component.ts, I am initiating a call to setInterval() to execute a function every second indefinitely. The executed function checks and starts the geolocation background service every 24 seconds. If the service is already running, it does nothing. After 6 seconds since the service was started, I stop the service and make an http post request to send location data to an API. The service is then started again after 24 seconds and the process is repeated again. It doesn’t stop.

What is the performance impact when doing it like this or making use of setInterval() like this?

Here’s sample code:

export class MyApp {
  rootPage:any = HomePage;

// variable to keep the previous timestamp
  old_time: number = null;

constructor(platform: Platform, statusBar: StatusBar, splashScreen: SplashScreen, public trackingService: TrackingService, backgroundMode: BackgroundMode) {
    platform.ready().then(() => {
      // Okay, so the platform is ready and our plugins are available.
      // Here you can do any higher level native things you might need.

// enable background mode for iOS.
      backgroundMode.enable();

// start a custom background service defined in this component
      this.startBackgroundService();

statusBar.styleDefault();
      splashScreen.hide();
    });
  }

// a background service to start and stop user location tracking in intervals
  startBackgroundService() {
    // execute a function every second for location tracking
    setInterval(() => {
      let new_time = new Date().getTime();

// start the tracking service every 24 seconds
      if((this.old_time === null) || ((new_time - this.old_time) > 24000)) {
        this.old_time = new_time;
        // the startService method starts the background geolocation services
        // the startService method checks if the service is already running or not before starting it again
        this.trackingService.startService();
      }

// stop the tracking service after 6 seconds since it was started
      if((new_time - this.old_time) > 6000) {
		// http request takes place un the stopService method
        // the stopService method also has an additional check to see if the service is already running or not
        this.trackingService.stopService();
      }

this.trackingService.est = Math.round(24 - ((new_time - this.old_time) / 1000));
    }, 1000);
  }
}

Code Repo: https://github.com/kobusbeets/ionic2-background-geolocation/

Why not just set up an Observable that listens for any changes?

The performance of what? You are affecting the battery life of the app’s user very much, but if your app is doing nothing else there will be no problem with the performance of your app. Doing nothing is pretty performant.

1 Like

I have other solutions I also worked on using an observable so this is purely to find out if there is a performance impact when using setInterval indefinitely.

Performance of the application. After making use of setInterval (with no stopping as shown in the code above) Android started complaining about the application doing heavy processing hence me asking this question.

• Performance = Something is fast/slow
  • Android warning of heavy processing = Something is doing stuff all the time, or really “bad” stuff

And yes, of course doing something every few seconds indefinitely is the opposite of what a mobile app should do.

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback guys. This is my first stab at becoming a mobile developer so I need to find out about these things.

That actually sums up what I am looking for.