Cannot run on Android

Installed on OS X 10.9.3.

Set up the seed project with side menus. Added ios and Android platforms. iOS platform is building and running fine.

Getting this error on the Android run:
-post-build:
[move] Moving 1 file to /Users/michaelpun/pg/dev/scribe-bot/platforms/android/ant-build
[move] Moving 1 file to /Users/michaelpun/pg/dev/scribe-bot/platforms/android/CordovaLib/ant-build

debug:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 4 seconds
WARNING : No started emulators found, starting an emulator.
Waiting for emulator…
HAX is working and emulator runs in fast virt mode
emulator: emulator window was out of view and was recentered

Booting up emulator (this may take a while)…BOOT COMPLETE
WARNING : No target specified, deploying to emulator ‘emulator-5554’.
Installing app on emulator…
Using apk: /Users/michaelpun/pg/dev/scribe-bot/platforms/android/ant-build/HelloCordova-debug-unaligned.apk

/Users/michaelpun/pg/dev/scribe-bot/platforms/android/cordova/node_modules/q/q.js:126
throw e;
^
Failed to launch app on emulator: Failed to install apk to emulator: WARNING: linker: libdvm.so has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please fix.
pkg: /data/local/tmp/HelloCordova-debug-unaligned.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]

Error: /Users/michaelpun/pg/dev/scribe-bot/platforms/android/cordova/run: Command failed with exit code 8
at ChildProcess.whenDone (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/cordova/node_modules/cordova-lib/src/cordova/superspawn.js:135:23)
at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:98:17)
at maybeClose (child_process.js:743:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:810:5)
Unable to run app on platform android. Please see console for more info.

Were you able to work around this, @mike00000888?
I’m having the exact same issue.

I read here, that this error usually happens:

if a previously installed
package of the same name has a different signature than the new package
(and the old package’s data was not removed).

So, in my case, deleting and recreating my virtual device did the trick.

1. Run: $ android avd
  2. From the GUI delete your previous device and create a new one with the same specs.

Just for future reference :wink:

I had a similar error:
Error: Failed to install apk to device: pkg: /data/local/tmp/android-debug.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]

For me, I simply uninstalled the existing app from my device, and it worked again.

worked for me, just remove and install again desired Android emulator images, thx!

Work for me too. Just delete all the version of app you have on your device and you are again up and running

Does anyone actually know why this is happening? I understand deleting the old app “fixes” it - but the ability to test the migration from one version to the next is hugely important.

Thank you, work just fine for me!

In my case, If i am running a newly created app with the different package name, the problem is same, WHY?

Here when I got the same problem, first time was the package name that wasn’t the same.
And the second one was the app version that was lower than the one on device.
I think that if the SDK version is lower than the previous one, you can get errors too… never tested but I saw it somewhere.

The solution that works for me is to open a command prompt and type:

adb uninstall my.package.id (which mean => io.ionic.starter) if you are not changing the package name

good luck :slight_smile: