Best way to create a list with different inputs

Hi,

I’m working with Ionic for the first time and so far it is pretty amazing. But now I’m not sure how to implement one specific feature of my app:

Requirement: The user should be able to answer a list of dynamically generated questions in the same view. Each question has a specific type (eg. number, text, slider, singlechoice) and at the form will be submitted via a button at the end of the list.

What is the best/Ionic way to create a list like this? Based on the stuff that I found so far I’m leaning towards a custom directive with different templates that is bound to a ng-model.

Thanks in advance!

That’s very possible, if you want a more simple route you could use angular’s ng-show attribute and based upon the condition in that it will show/hide an element. I haven’t done it with Ionic, but in another angular project that I run there are dynamic variables that are set in a database, then in the UI after I pull those, I do ng-repeat on it and it’s all referenced correctly using the repeat variables.

Just gotta get creative!

Like @NorthMcCormick said, you can use ng-if/ng-show to do this. You could also use ng-switch on the type, and when the type is text you will show a text box, when it’s a number show input type=number, etc. Something like this:

<div ng-switch on="data.type">
  <div ng-switch-when="text">
    <input type="text">
  </div>

<div ng-switch-when="number">
    <input type="number">
  </div>
</div>

If you give us some example code or the structure of your data, we could respond more tailored to your use.

We use this too! Some of the variables are of different types, I even have a JSON object in the database that tells it how to render out a select box and what data to bind to. Angular is so flexible in this way, it’s really an amazing tool. I would share my code if it was readable but it’s fairly complex and tied into my system so it wouldn’t do much good stand alone.

<div ng-repeat="formEle in vm.que">
    <div ng-if="formEle.dataType.toLowerCase() == 'radio'">
        <ion-radio ng-value="'personal'" ng-model="userData[$index]" required>Personal</ion-radio>
    </div>
    <div ng-if="formEle.dataType.toLowerCase() != 'radio'">
        <label class="item item-input item-stacked-label">
            <span class="input-label">{{formEle.question}}</span>
            <input type="{{formEle.dataType.toLowerCase()}}" ng-model="userData[$index]" required>
        </label>
    </div>
</div>

Our server returns either radio, text, email, number. So this does the job for me. But @brandyshea’s example looks good and more readable. Even I am switching to ng-switch now.

Thanks for the feedback! I will try to implement it via ng-switch which is way easier than writing a directive :wink: