ATTENTION: Upcoming Ionic 2 Starter Changes

Pretty much what @gwillson said, I just wanted to add there’s no reason you can’t run ionic commands from npm scripts as far as I know:

"scripts": {
  "serve": "webpack && ionic serve"
}

For now, you can just delete the Gulpfile that comes with the starters if you don’t want to use it. In the future I imagine it will be configurable to not start with it.

Hi @tim I’m really excited about Ionic 2 and I can’t wait to get my hands on it even more! Thanks for everything :slight_smile:

I’m not sure whether this is a good place to bring this up, but I wouldn’t know where else is a good place. So if this belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

I’m the initiator and maintainer of Generator-M-Ionic. It’s the result of more than 2.5 years of experience of me and my colleagues with building enterprise-scale apps with Angular 1 and Ionic/Cordova for the company I work at. As you can see we’ve been developing with Ionic since the beginnings and we’re big fans <3 Thank you very much. It’s a lot of fun :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the decision to move tasks out of the CLI into gulpfiles. Actually it’s one of main reasons we wrote our own generator in the first place rather than using the CLI.

However as we’re approaching Ionic 2 there’s still a lot of topics that seem unaddressed regarding the flexibility of the whole CLI: Testing (Karma/Protractor), Static Code Analysis, CI/CD Integration, Cordova CLI integration, build parameters and a lot more.

We built all these features into our own generator and they work very nicely. A lot of thought and work went into this.

Right now, honestly, I feel like we’ll need to write a whole new generator for Ionic2 to cover our needs and htis feels like reinventing the wheel in many cases.

The reason for that is that CLI seems very monolithic and hard to build upon if you have advanced requirements. I’m wondering if some separation of concerns, like implementing the scaffolding part with a generator that the CLI uses but also can be used by the community to build upon, would make implementing our needs more feasible.

Three days ago I created an issue explaining my concerns in detail:

I would really love to get some feedback from you on it. I know it’s a lot to read and it goes quite deep but I hope you can see the need and validity of the topics. Some information is redundant with what you read here but I wanted to give you a short summary rather than just throwing the link to the issue in here!

Please let me know what you guys think. I really want to get in on this. I could also imagine contributing a lot to the CLI development to get these advanced needs addressed as I think apart from ourselves the whole community could greatly benefit from a extensible, flexible and enterprise-level-ready development environment.

Have a great day!
Jon

1 Like

Will there be an official way to use webpack instead of browserify, or are we in “everybody is free to hack up the gulpfile” territory?

@rapropos – when you update to the latest app base, just switch out ionic-gulp-browserify-typescript for ionic-gulp-webpack in your gulpfile. Everything should continue working as before.

1 Like

Thanks. I wonder how much of this will remain relevant.

@tim Its really a bad decision. Ionic2 must be a framework for professional developers and not for kids. Does Gulp support tree shaking? Just because of this decision I am unable to use my featherjs server with Ionic2. Please revert this decision and use Webpack as default or provide an option to select Gulp or Webpack When creating new project with Ionic CLI.

@zafaransari You can still use Webpack, read the following post for more details:

Hi! I am planning to use featherjs, and i cant understand why i cant use it beacause gulp?
Can you explain it?

@iignatov @brandyshea Since RC.0 is using Rollup with npm scripts under ionic-app-scripts npm package, will that one support webpack build pipelines?

I’ve been using webpack since alpha.43 and my project is basically binded to webpack, changing to Rollup would mean trowing out my current setups, considering i use a whole lot of loaders, specially for SCSS and Angular 2 templates, the change will not be easy.

How to configure systemJS with ionic2 appl

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/Users/neuberfran/ionic2/ionic2-tutorial-github/www/index.html’

in localhost:8100