Announcing Capacitor 4.0

Originally published at: Announcing Capacitor 4.0 - Ionic Blog

Today, we’re thrilled to announce the release of Capacitor 4.0 :tada:. This new major version brings not only a bunch of bug fixes and improvements to the overall codebase, but also bumps the minimum SDK targets to support new Google Play policies. For folks with existing apps, fear not, upgrading to Capacitor 4.0 is nothing…

7 Likes

Nice, congrats to the team! :rocket:

If anyone needs to update a plugin from V3 to V4, I’ve found that just following the changes from the plugin generator project works well. chore: Prepare plugin generator for Capacitor 4 (#78) · ionic-team/create-capacitor-plugin@03027bf · GitHub

1 Like

Hi, guy,
Congragulations! First of all, congratulations to your team. After your unremitting efforts, you are amazing! Keep it up. Come on

1 Like

thank you so much!
So, do you suggest to update right now?

And what about migratin a capacitor 2 app to 4? Should we go from 2 to 3 and then from 3 to 4?

thanks!

1 Like

Congrats!

We did the upgrade here. Everything was good following the migration guide.

The only issue was the new Android 12 Splash Screen. It is showing a blank screen in the first install. For Android < 12, the old splash screen is working fine. I saw the same issue for demos without using Capacitor. It seems to be a problem with the new Android Splash Screen API.

Has anyone also seen that? Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve that?

Thanks.

I’d suggest doing the 2 => 3 => 4 migration process. Trying to do too many things at once can be a bit much to digest.

1 Like

I would open an issue on the capacitor repo for this. I haven’t personally seen this but that doesn’t mean a bug doesn’t potentially exist.

According to the migration guide, it is required to increase the minimum iOS version from 12 to 13. Is there any option to still support iOS 12 in order not to exclude older devices such as the iPhone 6?

1 Like

Great news!
Give an advice, pls. We have two apps in prod on cap v3, can you give reasons that we should up to v4? In the announcment and in the migrations guide i found just minor plugins API changes

Really exiting news! :clap:

Will the release also be made on the repo?

Woo Hoo! Congratulations! Great job everyone! Looking forward to the next step in the evolution of Capacitor.

Best to you all from me!

Tony

It is there. v4.0.0 has been there since July 27.

Capacitor V4 updates several dependencies that are required for the Google Play store. If you have apps in production and deploy through the Play Store, you are required to target API 31 or higher beginning November 1, 2022 (source). So this will be a required update for any and all Capacitor applications deploying through the Play Store! :smile:

3 Likes

Capacitor V4 is not working with Onesignal after upgrade from cap v3 . No errors , and no notifications.

Congrats!

We did the upgrade here. Everything was good following the migration guide.

The only issue was the new Android 12 Splash Screen. It is showing a blank screen in the first install. For Android < 12, the old splash screen is working fine. I saw the same issue for demos without using Capacitor. It seems to be a problem with the new Android Splash Screen API.

Has anyone also seen that? Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve that?

Thanks.

Yeah, so this is a known issue with Google unfortunately. They’ve basically stated that it’s broken for Android 12, and it’ll be fixed in 13 but they don’t seem to have any current plans to address it for 12 at this time. We have noted this in the splash screen documentation as well as we have a link to the issue tracker where we are monitoring the state of this with Google.

Hope this helps clarify a bit!

What steps should I do to get the splash screen back? Seems that it’s not working on android < 12 devices too, I don’t know if it’s something related to my configuration.
Can someone post an example of how all the files should look?

thanks!

1 Like

Hi
I ran the Migration from capacitor 3 to 4 and failed to migrate with this error:
[Error] Failed to migrate: npm install @capacitor/core@^4.0.1 @capacitor/ios@^4.0.1 @capacitor/android@^4.0.1 @capacitor/cli@^4.0.1 @capacitor/app@^4.0.1 @capacitor/status-bar@^4.0.1 --save-exact Failed
Is anyone familiar with this?
thanks

how did you migrate?

install can fail if you have 3rd party plugins (such as community plugins) that haven’t been updated to Capacitor 4, as they will require @capacitor/core 3.x

You can run npm install with --force parameter npm install --force to force the install of version 4.0.

yes, I have 3rd party plugin but I have to update the Capacitor to increase the target API level to 31 and iOS 15 SDK
so I do need to upgrade the Capacitor.
what can I do??